Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open Wiring Fire Alarm - Box Connectors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Open Wiring Fire Alarm - Box Connectors

    We have a fire alarm system with 50% of the wire pulled and boxes installed. It is an open wire system, FPL cable pulled into metal boxes. We are using standard non-metallic twin-screw cable clamp connectors for strain relief at each box. The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.

    Any ideas?

    The only thing I found in NEC is 386.6 'Surface metal raceways and associated fittings shall be listed.'


    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	2388826
    Last edited by ryant35; 05-10-19, 05:11 PM.

    #2
    You would have to look at the listing for that connector to see if it can be used with the wire you have, not the NEC. (It's not, by the way.)

    Is he talking about something like this- http://halexco.com/products.cfm?site...oduct_group=NM

    That's not listed for your wire either but he can make that call as the AHJ.

    -Hal

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ryant35 View Post
      The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.
      Wouldn't it be on him to show that you are not?
      Master Electrician
      Electrical Contractor
      Richmond, VA

      Comment


        #4
        Or not allowed. But he can't because the NEC doesn't have anything to say about it.

        Give him what he want's- you'll save some money too!

        -Hal

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
          Wouldn't it be on him to show that you are not?
          That was our first thought.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ryant35 View Post
            We have a fire alarm system with 50% of the wire pulled and boxes installed. It is an open wire system, FPL cable pulled into metal boxes. We are using standard non-metallic twin-screw cable clamp connectors for strain relief at each box. The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.

            Any ideas?

            The only thing I found in NEC is 386.6 'Surface metal raceways and associated fittings shall be listed.'


            [ATTACH=CONFIG]22921[/ATTACH]
            I'm guessing that he told the tech he wants to see the UL listing, not a code reference, and it got translated in the tech's head to "code reference". If there were no submittals on this project (or even if there were) he's well within his rights to request that information.

            I've used these myself, long ago, and the only way I could make it work was to wrap the cable with about a 1/4" of electrical tape. Otherwise, that gap is so large the cable will just slide back and forth, unless you have a half dozen or so cables going into the box.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by gadfly56 View Post
              I'm guessing that he told the tech he wants to see the UL listing, not a code reference, and it got translated in the tech's head to "code reference". If there were no submittals on this project (or even if there were) he's well within his rights to request that information.

              I've used these myself, long ago, and the only way I could make it work was to wrap the cable with about a 1/4" of electrical tape. Otherwise, that gap is so large the cable will just slide back and forth, unless you have a half dozen or so cables going into the box.
              So is there a listed connector? Or could you just secure the cables within 8" of the box and use a chase bushing?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by GerryB View Post
                So is there a listed connector? Or could you just secure the cables within 8" of the box and use a chase bushing?
                If there is a listed connector, it's come out in the last 3 years. Prior to that, while working for an installation company, I kept my eyes peeled for a suitable connector. What hbliss linked to at post #2 is the best one I've seen so far.

                Comment

                Working...
                X