Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone do much low voltage landscape lighting (T or hub/spider wiring?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone do much low voltage landscape lighting (T or hub/spider wiring?)

Installing some low voltage transformers and low volyage landscape lighting.

Some literature on internet and that come with transformers say to use hub/spider wiring, To use the 25' lower gauge wire attached to the fixture and bring those back to a hub and that hub gets fed with a home run going back to the transformer.

Other readings say that the hub/spider technique is not efficient and problematic and that a T method should be used.
    The T method would be a group of 6 or 10 (or so) connected in a daisy chain with #12's (not the #16 or #18 that comes with the fixture) then a #12 or #10 home run brought from the center fixture of that group to the transformer.

Any preferences from experience ???

Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

Squirting silicone inside these make the longest lasting, most durable connectors I've found for 12v landscape feeders, and fixture whips, in all kinds of wet, or exposed locations.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire_nuts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	2380821
    Roger Ramjet NoFixNoPay

Comment

Because LV lighting is LV, it is very susceptible to voltage drop problems. That's why the "star" method is suggested. The voltage drop the each fixture is less that the far runs on the "T" method.

I used the "star" method whenever I could, but often used the "T" method taking the home run to the middle of the run then going 2 directions (lower VD at the ends vs starting at one end and going to the next). But, I was doing this prior to LED lighting, and the amperages were higher so it made the VD more significant than you would have with LED lighting.

You should not ignore VD just because it's a LV system.

Comment

Thank you. Lol. I'm still not clear which way to go with this.
        Star or T ? The arguments for both wiring make sense. I would like to star but one article I read mentioned because of the lesser gauge wire and the 25' length on the whips it puts stress on the trnsformer and lessons its
        Efficiency and life ???? The fixtures will be 95% if not 100% led.
        If you were going to start wiriing which method would you do hands down with no second thoughts ??

Also. I was/ am going to pick up silicone wire nuts Is it just regular silicone in there or some type of electrical rated. I'll still get them as they seem to be rated for it and also are designed to close at the bottom by curious if it is special silicone.

Thank you for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by ritelec View Post
          If you were going to start wiriing which method would you do hands down with no second thoughts ??
          I would have to see the yard and lighting layout to answer that.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
            ... You should not ignore voltage drop just because it's a low-voltage system.
            That's the understatement of the week. Voltage drop is a LOT more important in low-voltage systems.
            (I think we discovered that about 1885 and have been raising transmission & distribution voltages ever since)

Ohms Law is your friend. Use it. Sketch out a few options on paper and calculate how they'll work before hooking anything up.
            I guarantee it will yield the answer. (which might end up being "the different configurations all perform about the same")

Comment

It's not crazy going ons.

I did a sketch and will decide which lights to put where and on what.

There's three sections or areas of plantings of bushes scrubs and small trees.

Rectangular areas of about 70'x 30' where I set up a transformer for each section.

I will be lighting various spots in each section and running home runs back to each transformer for that section.

Wondering if I should star or T it's not a big deal to do either. If I had the option which is the best to way to wire. A star or T ???

Comment

I would use whichever method uses the least wire.
                Master Electrician
                Electrical Contractor
                Richmond, VA

Comment

Least wire would be home runs to star, T would be more wire with home runs and branching to each fixture removing factory wire....

Star it is..... thank you

Comment

Ahhhhh !!!!

I can't commit to Star, I read this and it gets me second guessing

https://www.turfmagazine.com/landsca...ng-wiring-101/

then I read this and think T

https://landscape-business.com/lands...iring-methods/

https://www.landscapelight.com/desig...system-layout/

and then see book that came with the transformer (pic enclosed) and last comment here and think Star again.......smh

flip a coin ?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Wondering if I should star or T it's not a big deal to do either. If I had the option which is the best to way to wire. A star or T ???
                      Originally posted by drcampbell View Post

Ohms Law is your friend. Use it. Sketch out a few options on paper and calculate how they'll work before hooking anything up.
                      I guarantee it will yield the answer. (which might end up being "the different configurations all perform about the same")
                      You answer is there. The layout will show you the best method.

Comment

OK got it.... will bury the horse now... :- )

Comment

OK got it.... will bury the horse now... :- )
                          No, just share the layout with us.

Comment

I would not prefer to splice large group of wires. We have used LV cable as large as #8 copper for extra long runs and then drop down to #10 or #12
                            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                            I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                              I would use whichever method uses the least wire.
                              If I were overthinking the question, I would use whichever method requires the least digging.

Comment

Working...
                              X