Cat6 Game changer conduit fill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sparkyrick View Post
    Bandwidth certified out to 660'? Thats double the normal 100 meters.
    Cat6 is rated for 10gbps. I’m looking for a camera that needs that much.

If you need 10gbps, I’d use fiber.

I’d have to look it up but I think you get 1gbps over 660 feet which will be sufficient for a slew, a plethora and a cornucopia of cameras

Comment

There is some concern on POE equipment and generating heat in conduits.
      Here is good place to start https://www.bicsi.org
      This magazine had good articles on the subject https://www.cablinginstall.com/
      Moderator-Washington State
      Ancora Imparo

Comment

POE is getting ridiculous. It started out to supply "phantom" power to ethernet connected devices that needed low amounts of power- like phones and access points that would otherwise need local power from a wall wart, which would often be inconvenient.

Now these people are looking for ways for it to handle gigawatts to power a building full of lighting or carry power way beyond what ethernet is capable of. Obviously they haven't taken the time to understand the common (and IMO better) approaches to this. Like ethernet control of conventionally powered lighting or fiber with an integral pair of power conductors.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by five.five-six View Post
          I was awarded a contract to instal a RMC raceway system in a self storage campus for cameras. After being awarded the contract, the customer specification changed to include several of the longer runs in “game changer” cat6, which has a diameter of .305 inches

300’ of the raceway will have 3 standard wet rated cat5 cables and 2 each of the .305” “game changer” cable. I’m trying to calculate if those 5 cables will fit in a 1” galvanized rigid conduit.
          40% fill of 1" rigid is 4.85 of the 0.305 diameter cables.
          Don, Illinois
          (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
            POE is getting ridiculous. It started out to supply "phantom" power to ethernet connected devices that needed low amounts of power- like phones and access points that would otherwise need local power from a wall wart, which would often be inconvenient.

Now these people are looking for ways for it to handle gigawatts to power a building full of lighting or carry power way beyond what ethernet is capable of. Obviously they haven't taken the time to understand the common (and IMO better) approaches to this. Like ethernet control of conventionally powered lighting or fiber with an integral pair of power conductors.

-Hal

One PoE port can very easily supply 35 watts to a 2X4 troffer fixture. That fixture can be optioned with cameras, occupancy sensors, natural light sensors, speakers, thermostat sensors etc.. It makes a lot of sense to do PoE LED lighting.

Comment

All that stuff can be powered conventionally too with the network cable daisy chained instead of a huge spider web of home runs.

-Hal

Comment

Working...
              X