Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

12v Transformer to 12v Rechargeable Battery?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12v Transformer to 12v Rechargeable Battery?

Can I connect a 12v transformer to a 12v rechargeable battery to recharge the battery?

190819-0909 EDT

CCinPA:

There is no information on your background.

Two factors:

1. What is your definition of a transformer? If a standard AC transformer, then the answer is no.

2. Batteries are roughly constant voltage DC loads, thus, they must be charged from a current limiting DC source. With proper design that DC source can be supplied from an AC source. That could be a 12 V AC RMS output transformer with appropriate electronics between the transformer and the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by gar View Post
      190819-0909 EDT

CCinPA:

There is no information on your background.

Two factors:

1. What is your definition of a transformer? If a standard AC transformer, then the answer is no.

2. Batteries are roughly constant voltage DC loads, thus, they must be charged from a current limiting DC source. With proper design that DC source can be supplied from an AC source. That could be a 12 V AC RMS output transformer with appropriate electronics between the transformer and the battery.

Don't forget it takes about 14 volts to charge a 12 volt battery.
      Cheers and Stay Safe,

Marky the Sparky

Comment

190819-1168 EDT

With a 12 V transformer I have 17 V peak available. Thus, with a single diode, and current limiting resistor I can charge a 12 V battery. This needs to be turned off or reduced to a low charge rate after the battery is charged.

Comment

Originally posted by gar View Post
          190819-1168 EDT

With a 12 V transformer I have 17 V peak available. Thus, with a single diode, and current limiting resistor I can charge a 12 V battery. This needs to be turned off or reduced to a low charge rate after the battery is charged.

If it is low power you could possibly have a variable resistor/rheostat as your current limiting resistor.
          A variac on the input to the 12V transformer is another possible solution.

Comment

Working...
          X