Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Cameras

Some time ago I asked about video cameras, got some good suggestions
    I have a ring doorbell that works great, it caught a couple of guys on the porch at 10:45, police were called and arrests made.
    The ring system is very simple, $3.00 month for one device, $10 for unlimited. A floodlight cam is $250 retail. The video is stored on the cloud, and there is the issue. If I loose my internet connection, I have no recording.
    Installation of ring cameras is simple. If I go with a standard POE or LV system then I have run cable and have a DVR.
    I think that standard LV or POE cameras with a DVR would be less than the same in ring cameras.
    Costco has a 16 camera system with 2 TB DVR for $600...
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

That's (16) $32 cameras and an $88 NVR (or however you want to divvy up the $600). I'm all for good prices, but a $32 camera isn't going to give you much in the way of quality or functionality (features) at all. Same with an NVR. A 1TB HDD all by itself costs about that. When it comes to security, don't go the cheapest route.

My system consists of a bunch of Hikvision cameras (from Hikvision, not the ones you get from Amazon), an Axis camera, and a NUUO NVR [(4) 3TB HDDs configured as a RAID 5, which makes it ~8.4TB]. In night mode, the picture is as clear and bright at the edges as it is at the center -- it
    's as good at 2AM as it is at 2PM (except it's B/W at 2AM).
    I can digitally PTZ any of my fixed cameras, which means that utilizing my driveway camera (which also sees my front door), I can have the whole 105° field-of-view in one window while being zoomed in on my walkway and front door in another window at the same time. I can also digitally PTZ on recordings.

While a $600 price tag sounds appealing, you get what you pay for. Does Costco use any of the systems they sell in their own stores?

CIAO!

Ed N.
    CIAO!

Ed N.

Comment

Working...
    X