low voltage conduit fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

wawgster

Is there a guide for the conduit fill limit of low voltage wire in conduit(EMT). I know that the NEC states 40% fill but this is for high voltage wires/gauges. I can always run larger pipe of course, but how many plenum 18/4's will really fit in a 1" pipe for example. Ive looked on the web and could find nothing for this.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Just get the OD of the cables being used and calculate the area and look at the tables in Chapter 9 to find the area of the raceway being used. Also some of the cable catalogs have these calculation already done for you.

wawgster

I will look into chapter 9, im assuming thats the NEC guide you are referring too. I can probably have the local cable supply house get the figures for me seeing how we order so much.

Im typically doing CCTV/Access Control projects so not too concern about tension.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There was a very interesting article in one of the cabling magazines that the common wire lube will soak into the jacket of Cat 5e and cause the cable to fail the performance test....

gardiner

ADC/KRONE used to have a very good little calculator you could use for conduit fill for their cabling. You may be able to get one for your local supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.