Circuit under cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Hi:

While inspecting a home (home inspector) the owner showed me a 12 V circuit under a cabinet. Roughly every two months he has to change the 120 V rated switch to the transformer because it burns down. He also had a dimmer instead of an on-off switch that managed to last 9 months before it, too, burnt donwn.

This is his set up: From the switch that burns down, he has a transformer for the lights under the cabinet. The common of the 120 V switch is common to a GFCI. The GFCI does not appear to be affected, does not trip or burn down.

Any suggestions as to what is going on?

Thank you

gndrod

Arnie,
Would you give more specific data for the circuit hookup? (i.e. Is the transformer primary or secondary being switched?) Sounds like the switch contacts are being degraded from high arc surge erosion in a switch wired with poke home quik-wire terminations. The dimmer doesn't have quik-wires so it lasts longer. Is the GFCI parallel wired "common"? The common on a switch would normally be referring to a three-way switch. A definition of device terminals would help. A schematic would be better.

sp

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Firstly, if we are talking about kitchen undercabinet lights then we have a violation. It sounds like we have the lights connected to a GFCI circuit (receptacle on the counter). If this is correct we are out of compliance with the code. Kitchen receptacles cannot be hooked to the lighting circuit.

JohnJ0906 said:
The dimmer also has to be designed to dimm a transformer.

Secondly, it is possible, as stated above, that the dimmer is a standard dimmer. This may be okay if the transformer is designed for that use. In my experience that should not be the problem. I have installed many LV UC Lights and all the manufacturers I have used say a standard dimmer will work even though they are solid state dimmers. Even so, I would check. I would also try a Lutron dimmer or at least another brand.

e57

Burns down? The place (building) is still standing?????

As far as the electrical problem, as a Home Inspector, maybe your advice should be for this person to "call an electrician".... A licensed one....

Firstly, if we are talking about kitchen undercabinet lights then we have a violation. It sounds like we have the lights connected to a GFCI circuit (receptacle on the counter). If this is correct we are out of compliance with the code. Kitchen receptacles cannot be hooked to the lighting circuit.

Just a clarification, so as to not mis-inform the Home Inspector, as many of them are... Who are often responcable for bunk info to Home Owners.... Without knowing the circuit layout for the whole kitchen it is impossible to know if this is a violation or not. Kitchens require 2 circuits for counter-top small appliances, and must be GFI protected, and have "no other outlets", true. But if there is a third circuit, not located on the counter-top, that just so happens to be GFI protected... You can put whatever you like on it..... I have done kitchens with a dozen or more circuits, but only two of them on the counter-tops need to be "with no other outlets".

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Since Arnie has not been back to help clarrify his post or explain it in more detail, and given the fact that he is a Home Inspector, I think the advce to instruct the home owner to contact a Licensed EC is all that needs to be done.

With that said I am closing this thread.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.