household fire alarm system NFPA72,CH11

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballou

If one installs a combo fire/security system in a home, the fire wiring must meet NEC760. If speakers are used as notification devices for fire and security, would the connection to this device have to be within a box or would the "flying mare" meet code??

Also would the wire for the speakers need to be fire rated.

Is it a matter of power limited or non power limited??
I have been under the impression that all splices and terminations need to be in a box.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
You must use fire rated wire, and splices for a fire system must be in a box.....

You must use fire rated wire, and splices for a fire system must be in a box.....

When you strip back the cable jacket, you lose the fire rating.

peter d

bballou said:
If one installs a combo fire/security system in a home, the fire wiring must meet NEC760. If speakers are used as notification devices for fire and security, would the connection to this device have to be within a box or would the "flying mare" meet code??

Box not required, but recomended.

bballou said:
Also would the wire for the speakers need to be fire rated.

I have no idea what "fire rated" wire is, but if you are talking about circuit integrity cable then no, it's not required. If you are talking about FPL cable, then yes, that would be required.

bballou said:
Is it a matter of power limited or non power limited??
I have been under the impression that all splices and terminations need to be in a box.

Any modern system will be power limited. A true non-power limited system (line voltage notification appliances) is about as rare as they get.

Stallzer

Do you mean Plenum rated cable ? If so, then no you do not need it in a House since the return air is ducted and there are no plenum spaces.

normbac

are you referring to fire wire I was required to use strobe and horn inside and out you have to check local codes if you are trying to use speaker only you might have an issue with the listing

tesla fan

A combination fire / security panel for a residential installation requires fire wire to all notification devices and from the panel to the power supply (transformer). No boxes are required, the installation manual should have NFPA72 code requirements for the notification devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.