Landscape Lighting issue...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I have a customer who is having the only 11 watt bulb "blow" about every three weeks. This one and only light is powered by an 88 watt transformer. This 88 watt transformer is the lowest wattage transformer Intermatic has, according to their website.

What can we do to make the bulb last longer?

stickboy1375

1793 said:
I have a customer who is having the only 11 watt bulb "blow" about every three weeks. This one and only light is powered by an 88 watt transformer. This 88 watt transformer is the lowest wattage transformer Intermatic has, according to their website.

Whats the voltage at the fixture? Can the transformer support such a small load?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
1793 said:

Some transformer demand a minimum wattage. You may not have enough watts which may be causing an issue-- not sure how but....

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
This 88 watt transformer is the lowest wattage transformer Intermatic has, according to their website.

I'm not seeing an 88 watt but there is a 60. Anyway, have you measured the voltage AT THE LAMP? I suspect that because you have little load on the transformer the voltage output is going to be higher than what it is rated- which is with an 88 watt load and some amount of wire.

-Hal

mdshunk

You're not hooked to the boost tap at the transformer, are you?

Many landscape lamps cross to an automotive lamp and handle vibrations and such a lot better, if you suspect that might be an issue.

I had this same issue once. reread the manufacturer's specs and they required the first fixture to be no closer to the xformer than 10 ft., changed the wire layout and had no more problems with that fixture.

Occupation
Inspector
I had this same issue once. reread the manufacturer's specs and they required the first fixture to be no closer to the xformer than 10 ft., changed the wire layout and had no more problems with that fixture.

I'll try to get back to my customers to look at this and check the voltage at the light.

Occupation
Inspector

Oakey

This helped me cure a similar issue as well. Also I cut the leads off the light and wired a tail to help make it easier to take a voltage reading, I'm assuming these are the lights with the compression clips.

mxslick

As mentioned there is a minimum wattage one can connect to those transformers, I have measured an open circuit voltage of around 16-18vac on the typical transformers.

For an 88 watt transformer I would figure at least 20-25 watts to drop the voltage to 12-13 volts.

Or you can add a length of wire to drop some voltage too.

Occupation
Inspector
12.1v and 11'...

12.1v and 11'...

Voltage at the transformer is 12.1 and the same at the light, lamp.
The light fixture is about 11' from the transformer.

Anybody have any other thoughts on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.