Mass Notification Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ypick

An electrical contractor has wired 80% of the mass notification system above ceiling using plenum rated cable suspended in J hooks. The ceiling space is a return plenum. 20% of the wiring is in emt at the booster panels and between floors ( riser). The govt inspector claims that Mass notification is life safety and needs to be 100% in conduit based on the PA Mass Notification Spec stating:

All cabling and wiring shall be installed in rigid steel conduit, intermediate metal conduit, cable trays, or electric metallic tubing as specified in Section 16003 GENERAL ELECTRICAL PROVISIONS.

The system is independent of the fire alarm system but is interlocked for NAC overide.
Does the use of J-hooks in lieu of cable tray violate any life safety standards?

ElectronDance

I see no violation of 70 or 72. However, you mention a Govt inspector. You really need to look at the engineering specs and supporting documents for the job you are on. Not sure of the type project you are working, but if it is DOD than NEC and NFAC mean very little, except as a reference. ACOE kind of lives in their own little world. As military installations go, job spec is everything. In the case of mass notification you are dealing with the ideas of not only the corp and/or base DPW, but also Homeland security, as they are the driving agency behind the mass note requirements. We install these systems quite a lot, on three different bases, and I have yet to see a spec that allows "free wiring."

mdshunk

Does the use of J-hooks in lieu of cable tray violate any life safety standards?
I read nothing in your quoted spec that says anything about cable hanging from j hooks, bridle rings, put up with staples or zip ties, etc. It's pretty clear on the few wiring methods allowed. Bummer for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.