Phone cable and cat 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

jm1470

View attachment 2456

I was ask to run phone cable and network cable in every room of a customer house I found this cable on line all in one anybody ever use this. I feel it would be easily then running three separate cables.

Last edited:

mdshunk

Yeah, it looks like garden hose when you run it. The stuff I ran had two Cat5e's and two RG-6's. Cost wise, it was more expensive than a seperate boxes of all 4 cables, but the labor savings probably offset the extra cost. I mostly used it out of novelty.

mdshunk

jm1470 Never heard of it thanks

JJ
People used to talk about "hybrid cable" when referring to that sort of stuff, but I haven't heard that term in recent years. I've seen that stuff advertised but with fiber, a romex and a bunch of other stuff inside the jacket. That spool must be huge.

tonyou812

i would personally rather set up three seperate boxes. Ive seen many homes wired with this stuff and very rarly does it get used to its full potential. Some people are just like the IDEA of capability.

Security101

Like Marc said (or did) I used it a couple times for the novelty of it (and because I received a spool as a sample):rolleyes:

Expensive, and I agree most of the time it wont get used to it's fullest potential as Tony said...

Big bundle in the basement though so be prepared for some serious holes through the joists (as we cant hang them from the joist anymore:-?)

Jim

jm1470

I think I will do it the old fashion way just thinking about it what happens if u don't want the phone and cable in the same spot :confused:

William1978

Lot of house's in my area have that type of cable pulled in them. And like Marc said it has 2-rg6 and 2-cat5 in the cable.

TOOL_5150

I have used it before, I prefer the stuff that is "glued" together that you just peel apart, rather than the overall jacket in most cases. The jacket does help with abrasion on long runs though.

~Matt

wireguru

that jacketed stuff just costs too much. more flexibility in just keeping RG6 and CAT5E in stock especially if you do alot of it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I rewired a completely-gutted pre-Civil War-era house a few years ago. They owner had a friend of his run about 20 home runs of the 2-coax/2-Cat5 cable into a closet from all over the place.

I offered to do the LV wiring for him (I would have used separate cables), but he didn't like my price. To this day, the stuff hangs unused in that closet (which has no room for anything else.

FlyFish

I thought about using it and then realized I would need 3" holes through the 30 floor joists. I would rather set up a bunch of boxes of Cat5 and RG-6 and pull them all at once through smaller holes.

stickboy1375

View attachment 2456

I was ask to run phone cable and network cable in every room of a customer house I found this cable on line all in one anybody ever use this. I feel it would be easily then running three separate cables.

Its too expensive, and its just too big in diameter, You will be much better off just buying a few extra boxes of cat5 and rg6 and make your pulls accordingly.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Its too expensive, and its just too big in diameter, You will be much better off just buying a few extra boxes of cat5 and rg6 and make your pulls accordingly.
I agree, obviously. I don't believe in a one-cable-fits-all solutuion. Not every access point requires two coaxes and two CAT-x cables.

I rarely find that the best location for a phone, a computer, and a cable or satellite box is on the same wall of most rooms. To me, the phone jack should go in the best place for a phone, and the same for the other access points.

The only way to genuinely future-proof a building is to install raceway to each access port from a central location, or at least up to an attic and/or down to a crawl space. An attic-to-crawl conduit helps in multi-floor homes.

stickboy1375

I agree, obviously. I don't believe in a one-cable-fits-all solutuion. Not every access point requires two coaxes and two CAT-x cables.

Right, and some spots require more... My basement tv requires 3 rg6's, 1 tel jack and 2 data jacks. Before I finished up the basement I ran 3 rg6's and 3 cat5's to my more important areas of my home, I'm using most of them, so it worked out.

Where do i start . the cable you guys are talking about is called Structured Wiring. and it is sold in different styles. example it can be bought 2cat&2rg6 or 1cat%1rg6 or 2cat5%1rg6 . i use the 2cat5&2rg6 because my clients tend to use it all. i wire house's with this cable because #1 IT LOOKS NEAT 2 it is all home runs no splitters in the line from source to tv means better picture and better hd. and the reason i use 2 cat5's and 2 rg6's is because the cat5 is for phone and inter net . and the coax's are for cable and sat or cctv or many other reasons. and another reason i use that one is it saves me from having to go back to the customers house and trying to snake walls to add another line . a lot of me customers use both coax's cause they have both cable and sat in their house .

now thats the deferents between us A/V guys that you electrician's think they know it all's call us loser's not a real trade,Well i can go on for ever

Im not trying to diss you guys but i hate getting shit .on the job site from you guys you give us no credit and it piss's me off. it funny how manny of you guys now say you install home theater and cctv and home automation and whole house audio and hang tv's when like 5 years ago if you ask a electrician if you could run a phone line he would laugh in your face ...
so please just leave us alone and let us do are work... :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

wireguru

Where do i start . the cable you guys are talking about is called Structured Wiring. and it is sold in different styles. example it can be bought 2cat&2rg6 or 1cat%1rg6 or 2cat5%1rg6 . i use the 2cat5&2rg6 because my clients tend to use it all. i wire house's with this cable because #1 IT LOOKS NEAT 2 it is all home runs no splitters in the line from source to tv means better picture and better hd. and the reason i use 2 cat5's and 2 rg6's is because the cat5 is for phone and inter net . and the coax's are for cable and sat or cctv or many other reasons. and another reason i use that one is it saves me from having to go back to the customers house and trying to snake walls to add another line . a lot of me customers use both coax's cause they have both cable and sat in their house .

now thats the deferents between us A/V guys that you electrician's think they know it all's call us loser's not a real trade,Well i can go on for ever

Im not trying to diss you guys but i hate getting shit .on the job site from you guys you give us no credit and it piss's me off. it funny how manny of you guys now say you install home theater and cctv and home automation and whole house audio and hang tv's when like 5 years ago if you ask a electrician if you could run a phone line he would laugh in your face ...
so please just leave us alone and let us do are work... :wink:

typical arrogant LV guy :roll:

Structured wiring is the term used to refer to the entire system, not the cable. The type of cable we're discussing is referred to as bundled cable or composite cable.

Of course all runs should be home run, but that doesnt require the bundled cable. Neither does installing two CAT5E's and two RG6 to a TV location. The bundled cable costs more than the sum of the cables in it, is more difficult to transport and install. It requires larger holes in the framing, and you are still going to need seperate CAT5E to run to phone jack locations, and seperate RG6 to for your dish prewire. It makes much more sense to simply stock two colors of CAT5E, and RG6. I have been in three LARGE houses under construction this last year (the smallest was $2.5mil and the largest was $11mil) and none of these used the bundled cable.

A/V is definitely a 'real' trade, and there are many good system integrators and A/V companies out there who do a great job and earn A LOT of money, but for every one of these outfits there are a few dozen other LV guys giving the entire industry a bad name.

I just wired a house and used 1000' of "banana peel" (doesn't have an outside cover, but conductors are "glued" together (for lack of a better term)) 2 cat 6 and 2 RG6 quad (high end stuff).

I think the faster installation time more then makes up for the slightly higher cost. Also, it looks much better then 4 cables dangling down the wall.

In answer to the question about the box, we use SG or DG communication boxes, which basically don't have a back. The cable can loop inside the wall. It's still awkward to work with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.