Low voltage vs Line voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Depends on many variables. 12V MR16 lamps come in many different wattages and cone angles so they can be used for very specific applications. They also make LV track lights that can be bent to follow curved surfaces. IMO LV lighting can be more flexible but you may end up with some voltage drop issues if you use remote transformers.

Buck Parrish

To me it seems like 120 volt lights last longer. Probably to be ul listed they have to be designed a little better.
Though it seems the LV's have improoved recently.
I would agree the LV ones are much more flexible with installations.

Bobhook149

So what's the advantage of a pendant light with a 12 v transformer in the canopy. Is it the color that it renders? Why not just make it a lie voltage and save money>???:-?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So what's the advantage of a pendant light with a 12 v transformer in the canopy. Is it the color that it renders? Why not just make it a lie voltage and save money>???:-?
I think the low voltage fixtures can be designed smaller since the bulbs are smaller. They do appear to have a lock on tasteful design esp. for a pendant fixture. Even with the smaller wattage bulb they can produce at least as much light as an incandescent and the light is a cleaner whiter light. This, in many cases, is a desirable feature.

rbwsparky

Low voltage recessed lighting is a lot better looking than that big hole from standard cans, they look better when dimmed, and have trims available for a lot of applications.The majority of our lighting projects use these fixtures.

Status
Not open for further replies.