24 volt juntion box and conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

utefan

we have a trash chute that spans 33 floors. their is a 24 volt system that locks the doors when one door is opened. I beleive this fall under the class 1 catagory. Are junction boxes requred at a splice. Does the wire need to be in conduit when it is finished the wire will be behind a two layers of 5/8 drywall.

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

I would take a look at Article 725. Typically a 24 volt system is a class 2 or class 3 circuit.

What is the power supply for the 24 volts?

Chris

utefan

Welcome to the forum.:)

I would take a look at Article 725. Typically a 24 volt system is a class 2 or class 3 circuit.

What is the power supply for the 24 volts?

Chris

it is 110 volts it also is tied in with the fire alarm so if the chute catches fire you canot open the door.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
there is a 24 volt system that locks the doors when one door is opened... it is 110 volts it also is tied in with the fire alarm so if the chute catches fire you canot open the door.

Huh? What part is 24 volts and what part is 110 and where is the wiring for each? On the 24volt transformer what does it say?

-Hal

smo

I think he means the primary side of the power supply is 110, and the secondary is 24 volts. Then, on a separate note, the fire alarm is programmed to operate a relay which will lock down the chute doors if the chute catches on fire.

At least, that is my interpretation.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think he means the primary side of the power supply is 110, and the secondary is 24 volts. Then, on a separate note, the fire alarm is programmed to operate a relay which will lock down the chute doors if the chute catches on fire.

At least, that is my interpretation.

I think so too. In that case the 24 volt wiring would depend on what the transformer that supplies the 24 volts says on it- CL2 or CL3. If nothing assume Class 1. CL2 and CL3 would not require junction boxes, Class 1 needs to be a Chapter 3 wiring method same as power.

I would probably want to check local codes also since this is a trash chute.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.