Edwards QS4 Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been assigned the task of roughing in a QS4 fire alarm system in a 4 story res/comm building. All I have to work with is a binder full of shop drawings and a set of prints showing pulls, horns, smokes and sprinkler equip. no riser or lay out drawings. The info I have is there are four signature loops, one for basement and 1st floor, one for 2nd, one for 3rd and one for 4th. Do these loops have to be run in separate conduits, like loop 1 in one conduit or can all 4 be run in one conduit? Does the return of the loop have to be in a separate conduit or can I just run One riser and just pull the loop back in the same conduit? ANY help would be much appreciated, thanks. Mike

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Have you installed fire alarm before? I'm not familiar with the codes that apply where you're located; where I work 3/4" EMT is the minimum size that can be utilized, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Do your spec's call for class A or class B wiring (I know, old terminology, but I'm old). This is what will determine how to run your conduit. Have you asked why you weren't provided with a riser diagram? You're field engineering this without one, making me wonder if this job has been through a permit application and AHJ plan check. I'm inferring that your prints aren't showing conduit paths or wire counts. Do you have battery & voltage drop calculations? Is a NAC booster power supply part of the install? Fan shutdown, fire/smoke damper & fire/smoke door closure, and elevator recall details?

Regarding their smokes, I've found that the SIGA-SB bases are easier to install on octagon boxes than the boxes the factory calls out for on the installation instructions. Personally, I'm not fond of their relay bases, and prefer to use discrete (SIGA-CR) relays. I would recommend installing isolator bases or modules. Also, avoid using cut-in boxes for pull stations. Just not enough room for the guts of the module and the wire. If you're mounting several SIGA-CR control relays in 4" square boxes with single gang rings, don't butt the boxes up against one another, since the cover plates are taller than 4".

Is the sprinkler equipment you're monitoring indoors or outside?

Do you have a copy of the manufacturer's wiring practices manual? It may not be in the document package you were furnished, but should be available from whoever is supplying (and likely programming) the QS4 panel.

Last edited:

nhfire77

Do the specs call for class A circuits? If not everything could be in one run, but its not a good design idea.

Take a good look at the spec/design. Without a riser, and no specific design criteria, it could be anything you want, unless there are local amendments.

Oh, and ask the FD what they like to see. It might not be in the budget, but its what they want, not like, you probably bid on.

Thanks for the replies, I have been an electrician for 29 years and have worked on and installed a few fire alarm systems but they were all designed for me with a full set of drawings, this is the first that I have had to lay out and rough in. I received a drawing from my companies owner, it was just a line diagram on a single sheet from Edwards that shows the panel, 4 loops with initiating devices wired class 'A', 8 lines or zones of horn circuits wired class 'B' with eol resisters for common areas, 6 zones of horn circuits in every suite of the residential area wired class 'A' and 6 zones wired class 'B' with eol resisters for 'FIRE DO NOT ENTER' signs.

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
I'm counting 6 booster power supplies.

I'm counting 6 booster power supplies.

When using the Edwards BPSs bear in mind the wall space needed; an easily missed detail is that there is only one KO that can be used for AC power, namely the middle one on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.