Stubs and Accessible Ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When putting in telecom stubs and they say to stub to nearest accessible ceiling... sheetrock ceilings are not considered accesible unless there is an access door, correct? How close to the stub would that access door have to be? How would you run your conduit in non-accessible ceilings? To the nearest accessible celing or cable tray I assume?? Thanks.

nhfire77

Depends on the job specs.

Personally, I would like to see the stubs end max of 24" froM
The panel.

Trying to reach a pull string over that distance will be a bear, assuming the specs called for pull strings. Otherwise running a snake from the box and then catching it above the access panel would also be a PITA. Just my .02.

nhfire77

Are there any codes for low voltage stubs?

No, I don't think the NEC specifically mentions them, its just a chapter three wiring method, the EMT. Then it transitions to a Class 2, Article 725 wiring method (cable) with ,typically, a bang on bushing as the transition. Some have a box with a grommet or clamp at their end, but not normally for data/comm wiring.

I missed the cable tray in the OP. If you can reach the cable tray from the access panel, you would want to have the stub up meet it. Too many bends may prohibit this from being practical. Some job specs require a bond between the cable tray and EMT. Its really situational, and an engineer normally lays out a blanket spec and has an unrealistic 100% compliance expectation. (sorry PE's)

Last edited:

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks everyone. So when running tele/data stubs above sheetrock ceilings what is the most common application you have seen since it can't end in non-accesible ceiling? Just curious. THanks.

stevebea

Thanks everyone. So when running tele/data stubs above sheetrock ceilings what is the most common application you have seen since it can't end in non-accesible ceiling? Just curious. THanks.

Dont forget to put the room # on your conduit stub. It will save alot of confusion later especially if you need to run any kind of distance to get to a drop ceiling. A typical installation if you have a drop ceiling in the corridor would be to run cables on J Hooks down the corridor with all conduits from comm. outlets in the room stubbed into the corridor.

stevebea

The voice/data is done after it is rocked and the building is finished in your area?

I cant speak for Larry but that is typical if data/phone is done is done by someone other than the EC. If we dont install data/phone when we rough in we always run a pipe to a drop ceiling or accessible area.

nhfire77

Or on a design build job, the client supplies one and has the same expectation.

And there is no way to meet such expectation 100% of the time in all situations. Sometimes It is an unreasonable request, and I am sick of hearing, my plans, my way or else, without taking into consideration Physics. Two things cannot occupy the same space at the same time, among a myriad of other exceptions.

I has a PE yelling at me on the phone, MY plans fit. MY plans are perfect. You don't know what you are doing. This PE has never seen the building in question, in person and is flat wrong. I cannot put EMT in the same floor core drill hole a sprinkler riser is already in, its got priority over me. We need to core the floor, but no it has to fit because its on the plans. :) I digress.

Job specs be damned.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
nhfire! ya baby don't you love fixing their prints for them?
Now try to get extras if you tell them first; so we put it in wrong as far as it will go and then get them, leaving the needed out for us to make the most with the least work..

Status
Not open for further replies.