Existing companies - New limited energy licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

supertech

I have learned that it may be required for my company to now get a limited energy license here in Florida. I only work for the company and I am not an owner or officer. The company was in business long before it was ever required or even existed. 70 years? It's seems like the owner of a company would be the one to get the license and register it to the company. How does a company go about getting a limited energy license if they never have had one? What I have read and I may be wrong you need to have worked for a someone/company that had one already. 3 years? It's a bit of a catch 22 really. I cannot get one since the company I have worked for never had one. The owner never had one and really cannot get one either since he never worked for anyone that ever had one. Not to mention he's not technical. More of a business/finance person. When they pass these new license requirements how does existing companies get one? Or what are their options? I'm curious since one day I will possibly take over when the owner retires. I have learned many other companies are in this same situation. I'm curious to find out what they did.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Generally, when a jurisdiction comes up with a new licensing requirement existing companies are grandfathered or at least eligible to sit for the exam with the required OJT and other requirements waived.

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
70 years in business?

i'm assuming the current president is not the founder; was he in control of the company when licensing requirements took place?

if not, i can't see that he's eligible.

the only way to answer this question is to call the DBPR in tallahassee. don't wait though; lot of shake-ups going on in those offices right now w/ rick scott's new team coming in. get in touch with someone that can answer this quickly before they're gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.