FSD Control Modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It always seems like there is confusion pertaining to the wiring/install of these? When control modules are used for FSD where are they usually mounted, in the closet or by the FSD? Do they get power and fire alarm wiring? I kow there is sometimes a relay invloved. If anyone can simplify this for me I weould greatly appreciate it. I know the spec governs a lot regaridng modules for FSD such as for purcge, 2000cfm or above etc. Any help in helping me understand would be great. I don't deal with FA much at all.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It always seems like there is confusion pertaining to the wiring/install of these? When control modules are used for FSD where are they usually mounted, in the closet or by the FSD? Do they get power and fire alarm wiring? I kow there is sometimes a relay invloved. If anyone can simplify this for me I weould greatly appreciate it. I know the spec governs a lot regaridng modules for FSD such as for purcge, 2000cfm or above etc. Any help in helping me understand would be great. I don't deal with FA much at all.

Are you talking about the FSD duct smoke detectors from Notifier?

MichaelGP3

Occupation
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire/Smoke Damper. Your fire alarm control relay should be installed within 3' of the damper or (in the case of pneumatic dampers) the E/P switch (essentially the 'controlled device"). If you're using an interposing relay in addition to the control relay, they should both be installed within 3' of the damper.

You might consider taking a class to familiarize yourself with this field. Some are available at trade shows, some are sponsored by vendors or distributors, also AFAA or NFPA. There are a lot of liabilities involved in smoke control / life safety work; I'm not sure asking questions on an electrical forum like this one is going to have you covered..

Last edited:

Stallzer

There are certain conditions which apply to your question. Is there area Smoke Detector coverage ? Are the Dampers readily accessible ? Always the best thing to do in scenarios such as this is to consult your local authority having jurisdiction as they always have final say on the matter and don't necessarily walk the tight NFPA line.

Status
Not open for further replies.