Cree showing how it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Led is a lighting of the future. IMO. It is not there yet but it can be a savings for long term businesses. I have no doubt that the payback for someone my age is worthless in terms of financial gain, in a residence.

A friend of mine bought some R30 LEDs for the can lights over his sink. He'll never see the value from it however it is a very nice light- quite bright. He got it from Lowes.

BTW Cree stocks are way down which may be an indication of the economy or LED in general. Cree was or still is the forerunner in the industry.

They are based a few miles from Cadpoint (Jude)

cadpoint

LED's are the closest thing to the Jetson's that our vocation will see with respect to illumination, it is the future. IMO

It's like seeing a new car or even listening to your favorite artist new release, do you like it or not, well OK always debatable, but it is what it is, I don't think this one product will ever go away nor what one will see or hear.

They can be used in many enviroment's or as required with the correct controls, IE they are dim-able. But that'd would be a second party. Cree is pulling a Joe Jackson and "Stepping Out".

There's three big players in LED's they are Sylanvia, Phillips, and Cree. All three are trying to do things to fit their companys' model.

The cost ratio equation is also always debatable. Its funny how the cost can
calcutated and justifiable in large environments and not be quailifiable in small ones.

If one thinks about this life time that an a LED even existing verses a filament element, well there's no comaprison! What the LED can do in so many ways has already made it the future winner.

I'm sorry that the article only presents a press release. :)

Electric-Light

Led is a lighting of the future. IMO. It is not there yet but it can be a savings for long term businesses.

Lamp life on light sources that fail by burning out are defined by median life (50th percentile failure) where failure is defined as the lamp failing to light or remain lit continuously(i.e. HPS starting to cycle).

The IES LM-80 standard on life is way too lenient. There are two ways in which the life is reported, L70 and L50, which is the time it takes for the LEDs to decay to 70% or 50% output. What other lamp types lose this much output before failing other than probe start MH? Another vulnerability of LEDs is color shift over time, just like with MH.

Lighting design is usually done using MEAN lumen and should be the same for LEDs too.

high power white LEDs are sensitive to heat-sink temperature AND ambient temperature as the chip itself, phosphor and the polymer lens can degrade.

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp_Reliability.PDF
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXR-E_lumen_maintenance.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.