plastic boxes for low volt in a 18 story commercial building

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwilson1982

im an electrician in syracuse, ny. im currently working in a 18 story commercial building and was wondering if i can use plastic boxes for low voltage wiring or if there are any codes against this ive never heard of any against it. a coworker says you cant use plastic in a high rise but im skeptical i've used them plenty of times for 5 to 6 story commercial and never failed an inspection but never worked on a high rise does any one know of a code saying its ok or not ok. and this is for fire alarm, control voltage, and etc.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
im an electrician in syracuse, ny. im currently working in a 18 story commercial building and was wondering if i can use plastic boxes for low voltage wiring or if there are any codes against this ive never heard of any against it. a coworker says you cant use plastic in a high rise but im skeptical i've used them plenty of times for 5 to 6 story commercial and never failed an inspection but never worked on a high rise does any one know of a code saying its ok or not ok. and this is for fire alarm, control voltage, and etc.

Many of the High rises I have worked in have construction standards or generic specs for all construction. They may address your question and prohibit plastic boxes, otherwise, from a national code issue, they are perfectly legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.