Panel clearance requirements above T-bar / suspended ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the "Working space requirement of 110.26 (A). It requires a depth, width, and height "working space" for equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, or maintenance while energized.

It seems obvious that any type of troubleshooting would require the panel to be worked on energized. The code handbook indicates that this requirement applies even if the access is only for the purpose of reading voltages, which is a necessary part of troubleshooting.

Is there an exception for the fact that lighting control panels are often placed above t-bar / suspended ceilings?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to the Forum.
A most challenging first post :D
I believe the answer is that per NEC, the rule still applies.
By common practice, in my experience, it is not rigidly enforced.
Were some type of accident involved, I feel you would find that investigating agencies such as OSHA would find that the lack of clearance would be a violation.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
With regards to the "Working space requirement of 110.26 (A). It requires a depth, width, and height "working space" for equipment that is likely to require examination, adjustment, or maintenance while energized.

It seems obvious that any type of troubleshooting would require the panel to be worked on energized. The code handbook indicates that this requirement applies even if the access is only for the purpose of reading voltages, which is a necessary part of troubleshooting.

Is there an exception for the fact that lighting control panels are often placed above t-bar / suspended ceilings?

110.26 is probably the most discussed portion of the code. If I wasn't lazy, I would try to get some serious revision. First, where in the handbook does it indicate about voltage reading? Second, the handbook notes are not code requirements, but they should reflect the logic behind the authors of the code. Third, if what you say is true, I contend that every receptacle, wall switch and unction box would require clearance. It is really time that "equipment" is better defined.

kwired

Electron manager

It is all in how AHJ's interpret just what 110.26 applies to. Like Strathead said, as is worded, one could literally interpret it to mean just about all electrical equipment needs to comply with 110.26. That would make the job easy for many of us, but would also introduce a lot of impracticality for utilization equipment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... Third, if what you say is true, I contend that every receptacle, wall switch and unction box would require clearance. It is really time that "equipment" is better defined.
That has been my position on this code section for a long time. The Code Making Panel has refused to accept resonable modifications to this section.
I have even stated that 110.26 prohibits the installation of the code required kicthen counter recepacles.

north star

& = &

Performance Power,

1st, ...Welcome to the Mike Holt Electrical Forum! :cool:

2nd, ...because Article 110.26 is so subjective, it is recommended
that you contact the AHJ in which you are working, for an
interpretation, before installing anything......Like
**augie47**
stated, ...the requirement and clearances are not rigidly enforced
everywhere.

= & =

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I will agree with the enforcement part. Every inspector has a pet peeve, mine is panel clearance, and mostly because when I still wore the tools I was in a situation where I had 3' exactly and I could have used a whole bunch more. Any way, I want 3', not 2'11", close won't count. At the same time, I don't care if an AC disconnent is behind the condensor.

I also agree that it needs to be rewritten, because it's true, that I check more receptacles hot than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.