NEC Residential NYC - GFCI and dedicated circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an architect and new to the site/forum. I read an earlier post similar to mine but it related to nursing facility. In a residential dwelling, are individual GFCI outlets beyond bathrooms required to have dedicated circuits. If possible, please point me to the code section(s) that touch on this issue so that I can learn about this. Contractor insisting all GFCI require separate branch circuits but I have never heard of this and cannot find relevant code section. Much obliged in advance for any help you might offer! :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could you clarify what you mean by beyond bathrooms? Do you mean all other locations where GFCI protection is required?

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
I am an architect and new to the site/forum. I read an earlier post similar to mine but it related to nursing facility. In a residential dwelling, are individual GFCI outlets beyond bathrooms required to have dedicated circuits. If possible, please point me to the code section(s) that touch on this issue so that I can learn about this. Contractor insisting all GFCI require separate branch circuits but I have never heard of this and cannot find relevant code section. Much obliged in advance for any help you might offer! :)

210.8 covers GFCI for residential and do not require dedicated circuit

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

There is no NEC requirement to have a dedicated circuit for gfci outlets. I doubt that NYC has any amendment as such either

VOICECOILS

in california. It is required for new construction and certain remodels to have a dedicated 20 amp gfci circuit in each bathhroom and at least two in the kitchen, and in some parts of the city as many as four in the kitchen for appliances. Im not sure about NY. NY is noisy and crowded.

There may some confusion about the term "dedicated". Although there is no requirement that each GFCI recep be fed with its own circuit, in general, kitchens and bathroom GFCI circuits cant have other general use receptacles or lighting on them so in that sense they are dedicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.