Electric light and power circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

What is meant when the NEC references electric light circuit? Is this a reference to a lighting circuit or a fiber optic reference?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What is meant when the NEC references electric light circuit? Is this a reference to a lighting circuit or a fiber optic reference?
I think if it was in reference to a fiber optic then it would be in a section of fiber optic or it would state fiber optic. Without knowing the section I am guessing it means a lighting circuit. Is this referencing art 725?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I did a search of the phrase "electric light circuit" in the 2011 NEC and found no such phrase.

cppoly

Sorry should have specified this is from Mike Holt's NEC volume 2. I just checked the NEC and it's not in there. Mike is referencing electric light and power circuits. It's NEC section 725.139(F). Here's the sentence from Mike's book, "Audio output circuits [640.9(C)] using Class 2 or Class 3 wiring methods [725.136 and 725.154] aren't permitted in any enclosure, raceway, or cable with conductors of electric light or power circuits."

John120/240

Here's the sentence from Mike's book, "Audio output circuits [640.9(C)] using Class 2 or Class 3 wiring methods [725.136 and 725.154] aren't permitted in any enclosure, raceway, or cable with conductors of electric light or power circuits."

It says just what it says. Don't mix your audio wiring with lighting circuits or receptacle outlet wiring. Run separate conduits for your

audio equipment and separate conduits for lighting and receptacle uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.