Hardwired UPS? Possible to be code compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowbell

Disclaimer: I am a layman. I am a DIYer. I have a master electrician in the family that has likely saved my life. A couple times.

Question: I have several pieces of electronic equipment I would like to have protected in one form or another, including the use of a UPS. My office is filled with countless devices that are sensitive not just to surges but brownouts. I currently have a few residential grade UPS units tucked behind desks, etc. providing said protection. Their current placement is suboptimal as they generate heat and due to needing to be somewhat hidden from view don't get proper ventilation. I also never see them, so if there's a trouble light, etc. they just aren't noticed. 5yr battery swapouts are a PITA as they are as buried as they are. Being fairly beefy units, they do have an audible buzzing noise that I find distracting.

I was thinking that it would make a lot of sense to put in-line UPS devices in a cooled, controlled environment, like in a rack near the service in our basement. Here is a simple flow illustration that hopefully demonstrates what I'm considering:

[A] Service ->
Romex ->
[C] Standard female AC receptacle ->
[D] Residential UPS plugged into [C] ->
[E] Short AC Power Cord. Type B Male To Type B Female (Connecting [D] to [F]). ->
[F] Male AC receptacle ->
[G] Romex ->
[H] Standard female AC receptacle ->
Device

This would allow me to place all UPS units in one location in the basement with adequate air flow, ease of access, etc.

While I'm fairly certain the above would work, assuming all wiring is 14g along the entire length of circuit, would it be code compliant?

If not, is there any possible way to get my plethora of UPS devices out from my office, from behind my TV, bedrooms, etc. and into my basement?

Thanks for entertaining a newbie's question!
Cowbell

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
  • This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries.
  • Questions posted that appear to be an attempt to gain assistance with an electrical installation will be removed. Forum rules prohibit us from assisting a person to perform or assist others to do electrical work who are not qualified. Mike Holt Enterprises and the Moderators of this Forum do not wish to place you and your family in danger, by allowing others to give you too little information to ensure that the installation is safe
Roger

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.