customer wants to extend sconces to new book case

Status
Not open for further replies.

newservice

Customer has older house with plaster walls, has 2 old (yes k&t vintage) unswitched sconces on a wall that they are going to make into a library with a nice full wall book shelf to be constructed. Shelfs are probly 10" wide. The proposal so far is to cut holes in the back panel of the shelf where the sconces are now, J box, and extend on NM 14ga. to a removable blank panel on the front and mount the new sconces. My question, does this pass the smell test? I think I'm ok with J box inside the removable panel being visible and accessable, after all if you take the panel off its visible.
I'm more concerned with using romex in the book case; is the case now part of the structure, etc...knowledgeble comments appreciated...:angel:

kwired

Electron manager
Customer has older house with plaster walls, has 2 old (yes k&t vintage) unswitched sconces on a wall that they are going to make into a library with a nice full wall book shelf to be constructed. Shelfs are probly 10" wide. The proposal so far is to cut holes in the back panel of the shelf where the sconces are now, J box, and extend on NM 14ga. to a removable blank panel on the front and mount the new sconces. My question, does this pass the smell test? I think I'm ok with J box inside the removable panel being visible and accessable, after all if you take the panel off its visible.
I'm more concerned with using romex in the book case; is the case now part of the structure, etc...knowledgeble comments appreciated...:angel:

Junction box only needs to be accessible, not readily accessible so you pass that one.

NM in the bookcase - all depends on what you and/or AHJ call subject to physical damage. If you determine it is subject to physical damage then sleeve it in something whether it be raceway, tubing, wood molding with a groove plowed in it for the cable...

May look better/more professional if you encase it in some way anyhow.

Then again after reading through your description one more time, sounds like the cable is enclosed anyway and no physical damage is likely.

newservice

thanks Kwire I knew I could count on you. I thought I was alright, am just waiting for some inspector to say 'Oh youre extending the knob and tube' . To my mind I pass on that as well, cause not adding any load. Yes, its encolsed and not subject to damage ty for straightening me out on the accessable part.

kwired

Electron manager
thanks Kwire I knew I could count on you. I thought I was alright, am just waiting for some inspector to say 'Oh youre extending the knob and tube' . To my mind I pass on that as well, cause not adding any load. Yes, its encolsed and not subject to damage ty for straightening me out on the accessable part.

Extending K&T may come with other issues not yet mentioned, like equipment grounding conductors and AFCI protection.

newservice

Extending K&T may come with other issues not yet mentioned, like equipment grounding conductors and AFCI protection.

We wont talk about that. grr. Actually I just got done putting 12 AFCIs in this place yesterday and yes inclucing the k&t. great protection for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.