NEC 330.10(A)(12) Single Conductor MC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEC 330.10(A)(12) states: "Where single conductor cables are used, all phase conductors and, where used, the neutral conductor, shall be grouped together to minimized induced voltage on the sheath."

I'm having trouble interpreting this.

Lets say I'm powering 3 phase delta equipment. I decide to run each phase in a single conductor MC cable. Does this article prohibit such use (in other words, I MUST put all 3 phases inside the same cable)?

Or does this article simply state that my (3) single-conductor cables must have their metal sheaths touching each other throughout the run to prevent voltage build up between cables?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
NEC 330.10(A)(12) states: "Where single conductor cables are used, all phase conductors and, where used, the neutral conductor, shall be grouped together to minimized induced voltage on the sheath."

Lets say I'm powering 3 phase delta equipment. I decide to run each phase in a single conductor MC cable. Does this article prohibit such use (in other words, I MUST put all 3 phases inside the same cable)?

Or does this article simply state that my (3) single-conductor cables must have their metal sheaths touching each other throughout the run to prevent voltage build up between cables?
The latter.

May have missed your first post. Welcome to the forum.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer

Single-conductor Type MC cable is permitted to be used according to 330.10(A)(12). Installation practice for single-conductor wiring methods dictates close circuit conductor spacing not only to minimize induced voltage on the sheath, but also to minimize overall circuit impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.