Trasnformer Calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC User

I have an existing panel operating on 120/208 3 phase which will feed a new 25KVA single phase transformer with a 208V single phase primary and a 480V single phase secondary.
Square D confirmed they will manufacture a custom transformer to meet the above conditions.

However, I'm performing construction support for the project which is now under construction. I believe there is an error on the primary side of the transformer. Our Contract plans were showing a 3 pole 100A breaker and 3#2 wires going into the primary side of the transformer. Now I realized the intention is to use it as a single phase transformer on the primary side.
So my calculations per NEC is as follows:
P=IV (without radical 3 since the primary side is operating on 208 single phase) - should the radical 3 be used?
25000 VA = I 208V
I= 120A
Per NEC Table 450.3 B Primary protection only: the maximum primary protection is 120 * 1.25 = 150A.
However, the existing panel can only use 100 A circuit breakers maximum.

My questions are:
Are my correct to not use the radical 3 in the calculation above?
Will the 25KVA transformer always draw 25KVA and thus 120Amps?
Can I use a 2-pole 100Amp breaker within the panel to protect the transformer?
What calculations do I need to do to determin the 100A breaker is still acceptable to feed the trasnformer and the load on the secondary side?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
My questions are:
Are my correct to not use the radical 3 in the calculation above?

Yes

Will the 25KVA transformer always draw 25KVA and thus 120Amps?

No, it will draw whatever the connected load is.

Can I use a 2-pole 100Amp breaker within the panel to protect the transformer?

Yes, though the 100A breaker may trip on inrush

What calculations do I need to do to determin the 100A breaker is still acceptable to feed the trasnformer and the load on the secondary side?

You will need to do a load calculation. 125% of the continuous load plus 100% of the non-continuous load must be 100A or less on the primary.

NEC User

Thanks, great help.

For my load calculation:
The load on the secondary side is 13.3 KVA Connected Continuous Load

P=IV
13300 VA = I x 208
I=63.9 Amps
125% x 63.9 = 80 Amps

So my 100A breaker is sufficient. Thank you again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.