nm in a large romex connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To expand on what Bob said you probably will not find any connector with such a listing.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The whole concept of listed for that use is silly to me. I don't see why any metal nm connector isn't listed for more than 2 cables except that they haven't paid for the testing. Personally I don't do it but I don't see the problem if the wires are held by the clamp.

iwire

Staff member

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would be fairly disappointed to see someone do that!! I would have to do my Gunny Ermey impression on them.:rant:

For various reasons sometimes you have to use one clamp for multiple cables.

If the walls are open and the panel is fully accessible then I do not use one clamp for multiple cables. Otherwise i take advantage of their listing.

marti smith

I don't know- it seems liket the pressure doesn't get evenly distributed and some cables get pinched while others can be wiggled loose. And it also looks like bird poop on a new car.

Strummed

I don't know- it seems liket the pressure doesn't get evenly distributed and some cables get pinched while others can be wiggled loose. And it also looks like bird poop on a new car.
The connector shouldn't be so tight that any cables get pinched to the point of it being a problem. Staple your cables within the proper distance and it doesn't matter all that much if they aren't super tight. If you feel like someone is going to be pulling on the cables for some reason, it's probably best to protect them anyway.

LJSMITH1

UL514B (the governing spec for these fittings) requires that the cable fitting hold 25 lbs for each NM cable for 5 minutes. With todays "Sim-Pull" style NM jackets, its increasingly difficult to meet this requirement - especially on multiple cable in fitting installations.

I'd be curious to see if that larger fitting still passes the same requirement with all of those NM cables installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.