Installing Highbay Lighting over a false ceiling with factory supplied SOOW Pigtails

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I have a very large room that is currently illuminated by a lot of Metal Halide high bay fixtures. The fixtures are mounted above a corrugated sheet metal false ceiling about 40 feet up and shine through glass covered openings into the room below. The fixtures are hung with 3/4" rigid galvanized steel conduit with a hook at the end that hangs from a hangar on the actual ceiling truss. The wiring to the fixtures is THWN and it transitions out of the conduit for hanging via a tee condulet where it ties into the branch circuit wiring. As a test my company purchased a few LED high bays to see how they worked (please lets not turn this into a debate on the merits or demerits of LED high bays). The fixtures came with a 3/4" female thread and a set screw at the top for hanging like our existing fixtures. They also came with a factory installed 8 foot SOOW pigtail exiting the 3/4" threaded connection. The instructions say to route the pigtail through the conduit used for hanging the fixtures. This seems to me to be a direct violation of 400.8(6). Is there an exception if the listed luminaires instructions instruct you to install it in that manner? Since we believe the installation method specified is a violation a proposal has been made to attach a tee directly to the fixture with a short nipple and attach the conduit for hanging at that point. The pigtail would then be run out of the tee and routed to a receptacle. I am pretty sure this still violates 400.8(6) and also violates 400.8(5) but I thought I would ask. Opinions? Has anyone else run into something similar? Thanks.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
Thanks for the reply Dennis. Any opinions on running the SOOW pigtail like the instructions suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.