pump motor disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to wire a sprinkler system pump motor in a 3 story/3 family dwelling. In looking through the 2008 NEC it seems that I can use the breaker in the panel as the disconnect since it will be about 15 feet away and in sight. i thought there might be some special specifications being this is a sprinkler system. I suck with looking up new (for me) stuff in the book. Any help or code sections would be appreciated.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I need to wire a sprinkler system pump motor in a 3 story/3 family dwelling. In looking through the 2008 NEC it seems that I can use the breaker in the panel as the disconnect since it will be about 15 feet away and in sight. i thought there might be some special specifications being this is a sprinkler system. I suck with looking up new (for me) stuff in the book. Any help or code sections would be appreciated.

There is a lot more to this than a disconnect. You will need a fire pump controller to start with. A lot will depend on how the fire pump is classed-residential (not likely in multi family), limited srvice or full service. NEC 695 is the rule here along with NFPA 20.

sorry about the lawn/fire confusion. It it a wet fire sprinkler system. A flow switch will start the motor. Flow switch, motor and breaker will all be in sight of each other. Had looked in the NEC section on motors. Will look into NEC 695. The pump is a pressure maintenance pump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.