Main breaker marked 100/80

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I just saw a picture on another site of an apparent 100 amp main breaker, ETN brand. There was no handle tie on it and one handle was marked 100 and the other was marked 80. Factory mistake? It was a main because it had the securing screw in it.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have seen equipment with an OEM supplied breaker with a different amperage on each pole but on specialized equipment is the only place I have seen such.
Do you know how/where the breaker was being used ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Here's an example.

35-100.JPG

Roger

templdl

Now that I thought about it I do recall then manufacturer that I hand worked for assembled a morphodite breaker also. The trip was correct but they assemble it with the incorrect toggle.

kwired

Electron manager
That's the pic. From a home inspector site. OP said nothing happened when he shut the 80 side.

First, there should be a handle tie on there and that would prevent having one open and one closed simultaneously.

Second, if there is connected 240 volt loads, it may appear that nothing happens if conditions are just right when opening one side. Having voltage and current meters connected in the right place may make it more obvious something did happen. Similar things often happen when only one fuse opens on a 120/240 feeder. Backfeed through 240 volt loads allow operation of the 120 volt loads on the side that is open, but they will not see full 120 volts either.

Status
Not open for further replies.