Lightning/surge arrestor connection to panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Can leads (small gauge) be connected to the lugs of a 200-amp main breaker? Does not seem right to me due to connection integrity concerns.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No. The lugs would need to be listed for more than one conductor, also the surge arrestor would require some sort of OCPD it tapped ahead of a 200a mp breaker.

Ragin Cajun

This has always been a "touchy" subject. When you read some of the "instructions" what tonype said is certainly implied.

Some devices do have internal SC protection.

I know what I see frequently and will leave that to you imagination.

RC

SG-1

I have a 70K Amp whole house model & it connects to a dedicated 15A circuit breaker after the 200A main, per the instructions sheet. Actually, I have three, one at the service, one at the well, one at the barnyard. The one for the well is wired into the 30A breaker for the pump.

Ragin Cajun

Even if there is no "spare" CB, you can always piggy back on a misc recpt ckt. Most (all?) "modrn" DB's can be double lugged.

However, some SA's require a 30A breaker so you will need to find a spare ckt..

RC

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
No. The lugs would need to be listed for more than one conductor, also the surge arrestor would require some sort of OCPD it tapped ahead of a 200a mp breaker.

Isn't that the difference between type one line side, type 2 and 3 load side with overcurent?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I wanted to add some information to clarify my first post. TVSS equipment, now called SPD's can be installed ahead of the service disconnect if they're type 1 without an external OCPD. Here's what Ul says about type 1 devices:

Type 1-Permanently connected SPDs intended for installation between the secondary of the service transformer and the line side of the service equipment overcurrent device, as well as the load side, including watt-hour meter socket enclosures and intended to be installed without an external overcurrent protective device.

Status
Not open for further replies.