200 amp 120-240v transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. M

Upon a recent call, I was asked if the installation of a transfer switch in this residential location
was installed per code. I noticed that the load side SE (4/0 Al.) cable from the meter to the 200
amp panel had been removed and replaced with a longer piece, so it would reach the transfer
switch located adjacent to the panel. I didn't see any labeling that it was rated for service
disconnect. The load side from the transfer switch re-supplied the main panel via a 2" piece of
pvc, with 4/0 Al. installed within.

My question is does the existing 200 amp. panel still remain as the main service disconnect?,
and if not would the main bonding jumper have to be removed and neutrals and grounding
conductors be isolated.

raider1

Staff member
If the electrical panel served as the service disconnecting means then the transfer switch would have to be listed as suitable as service equipment because it is now located upstream from the panel. The manin bonding jumper would have to be located in the transfer switch.

Chris

Mr. M

Transfer sw.

Transfer sw.

If the electrical panel served as the service disconnecting means then the transfer switch would have to be listed as suitable as service equipment because it is now located upstream from the panel. The manin bonding jumper would have to be located in the transfer switch.

Chris

Would the neutrals and equipment grounds has to be isolated also?

Status
Not open for further replies.