Generator Interlock Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldstar View Post
    The units you've shown are retaining kits for back-fed breakers if you're converting a main lug panel to a main breaker panel. These are not used for portable generator installs. They have no way of interlocking with a main breaker unless I'm missing something.
    The catalog numbers he mentioned are interlock kits, the image in the link is not for either number he gave us.

I think this is a little like the classified vs listed breaker issue. None of the panel manufacturers want to accept any accessory they did not make as being something that can be installed in their equipment.

Equipment is listed as is when it leaves the manufacturer. Drill a mounting hole, punch a cable or raceway entry and we no longer have the same thing that left the factory.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by eHunter View Post
      Sorry about that. I plead guilty to operating without the influence of my morning caffeine.
      Try these instead.
      Page 17
      http://static.schneider-electric.us/...1100CT0501.pdf
      Page 13
      http://static.schneider-electric.us/...0110PL9401.pdf
      Again, from a personal point of view, I have no problem with any of these kits. However, irrespective of whether they're manufactured by the panel maunfacturer or not, if they don't bear a UL label it gives the EI a reason to not approve their use. I believe they're considered an "appliance" and getting a UL listing may not be possible or practical. Don't forget, submitting something to UL doesn't just cost a mere $25.00. In order for a manufacturer to submit an item it has to be worth their while.

Comment

Look around some, the manufacturers are not stupid. They are making interlock kits. Here's a few examples:

GE - http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/Disp...id=9987&id=gik

Square D - http://static.schneider-electric.us/...273-809-02.pdf

Cutler Hammer sells a whole new dead front with the interlock factory installed.

My AHJ accepts them as long as they are UL listed.

I guess if you're trying to find one for an older panel it could be more problematical, but I would check with the manufacturer before I looked elsewhere
        Mike, Dutchess County, NY

Comment

Again, from a personal point of view, I have no problem with any of these kits. However, irrespective of whether they're manufactured by the panel maunfacturer or not, if they don't bear a UL label it gives the EI a reason to not approve their use. I believe they're considered an "appliance" and getting a UL listing may not be possible or practical. Don't forget, submitting something to UL doesn't just cost a mere $25.00. In order for a manufacturer to submit an item it has to be worth their while.
          I understand what you are saying but "appliance" maybe was the wrong choice of words.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Just a followup on the Square D QO generator interlock kits.
            They are UL recognized per a statement from Schneider/Square D.
            http://www.schneider-electric.us/sit...&redirect=true
            What is the UL file number for QOCGK2, QOCRBGK1 and QORBGK2 ?
            The Square D Generator Circuit Breaker Interlock Kit, catalog number QOCGK2, QOCRBGK1 and QORBGK2 is a UL Recognized Component listed in UL File E6294, Vol. 7, Section 16, when installed in a listed QO Load Center (UL file E6294, Vol. 8).
            The QOCGK2 and QORBGK2 do not carry their own UL number. They are listed as accessories only when used with the correct QO load center under UL file E6294 volume 7 section 16 page 1.

Comment

The vast majority of EI's in northern NJ are not accepting these interlock kits. IMHO, they are a safety device, they work and their intended use is obvious. It is far safer than back-feeding a house through an AC disconnect. However, the EI's reasons for non-acceptance include :[LIST][*]Making holes in the panel cover may weaken the cover[/LIST]
              Just out of curiosity, what do your inspectors say about screwing or riveting phenolic labels to the cover? Many specs require making holes in the cover for labels.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
                Just out of curiosity, what do your inspectors say about screwing or riveting phenolic labels to the cover? Many specs require making holes in the cover for labels.

Roger
                I'm not sure Roger but I don't think they have a gripe with drilling holes in the "meaty" portion of the panel cover but rather the thin rib portion that holds the branch circuit breakers in.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
                  I understand what you are saying but "appliance" maybe was the wrong choice of words.
                  I disagree. From Webster's Dictionary :
                  ap-pli-ance (a pli' ans) 1 the act of applying; application; 2 a device or machine for performing a specific task, especially one that is worked mechanically or by electricity. SYN implement.
                  FYI, I didn't just pull that word out of my limited knowledge of the English language. It was used by an instructor from the State of NJ in describing these devices during a CEU class.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
                    You weakened the covers??

Death and destruction is sure to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by iwire View Post
                      You weakened the covers??

Death and destruction is sure to follow.

LOL.

I've installed the listed Sq D interlocks and from experience I can say that they work well. Paying $80 for a few pieces of metal and a bag of screws is similar to being mugged.
                      Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I'm with you 100%. But if they're not accepted - they're not accepted. You can appeal and yell and scream all you want but it won't pass (in many areas).
                        And that right there is why so many people just do it without pulling a permit. And many times, because they are already doing it on the down-low, they also have an unlicensed guy doing the work

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                          LOL.

I've installed the listed Sq D interlocks and from experience I can say that they work well. Paying $80 for a few pieces of metal and a bag of screws is similar to being mugged.
                          The ones from interlockkit.com are $150 plus shipping. But they work well, I have used them on many panels.

And no, I did not have any of them permitted/inspected because I am not going to get involved in this issue with NJ inspectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Strummed View Post
                            And that right there is why so many people just do it without pulling a permit. And many times, because they are already doing it on the down-low, they also have an unlicensed guy doing the work
                            Bingo !!! I wish the State would get involved and offer an opinion on this so that we're all on the same page (pro or con).

Comment

The ones from interlockkit.com are $150 plus shipping. But they work well, I have used them on many panels.

And no, I did not have any of them permitted/inspected because I am not going to get involved in this issue with NJ inspectors.
                              Seems kind of odd how you do exactly what you are complaining about.

Comment

Originally posted by iwire View Post
                                Seems kind of odd how you do exactly what you are complaining about.
                                I'm licensed buddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X