Receptacle placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strummed

This was an outside porch that was turned into an interior room. The wall where the question mark is placed is all cement, so putting a receptacle there would be a bit of a pain. The homeowner doesn't want one there since it's just a walkway and they won't be putting anything there. All receptacles in the diagram are within 12' of each other.

Do I need a receptacle where the question mark is?

Untitled.jpg

Strummed

Is the door on that wall. If so I don't think an outlet is required. 6 ft from a door is okay.

There are two doors symbolized by the little flappy thingie. I know my image isn't that good :p

The wall in question is about 6.5 foot long and between 2 doors but the doors aren't on that wall.

So I am wondering if I need one in 6' from that side of the door.

Buck Parrish

It's the inspectors call. Call him if you're on talking terms. If he has a vendetta against you he may require it. Or leave a note during the rough in nailed to the wall in question.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it is a wall that is longer than 24" then it needs one.

The inspector may make an exception because it is existing wall and getting to it requires a lot more work than the value of having a receptacle there.

Ask the AHJ.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Unless you can convince someone that the straight area is a hallway of less than 10' one is required. The fact that it may be difficult to install does not waive the requirement for a receptacle on that wall.

Strummed

Unless you can convince someone that the straight area is a hallway of less than 10' one is required. The fact that it may be difficult to install does not waive the requirement for a receptacle on that wall.
I know and agree with that last part. But since it's a pain (deleted) I was hoping that I could get away with not putting one there :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.