Breaker frame size

Status
Not open for further replies.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Is there anything in code says how to size the breaker's frame compared to the ampere rating?

Ex. the adjustment amp is 200a, the frame size would be:
200a
or 225a
or 250a

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Frame size and trip settings are not related.
In the vast majority of situations the frame size is the largest setting the device can handle.

Some 'iron frame' breakers were built with trip settings greater than the frame size (e.g. 1.1X) although I don't remember seeing new installations for the past few decades.

About 50 years ago the typical molded case breaker frame sizes were: 60, 100, 200, 225, 400, 800, 1200, 2000
Now we also see sizes of 150, 250, 600

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Jim will correct me if I'm wrong..
but I have seen frame size selected for:
(a) future use (a 1200 amp frame for possible future load but presently with a 600 amp rating plug to protect present wiring)
(b) to address a high fault current situation. At times a small ampere rated breaker will have the frame suitable for a larger
breaker to meet fault-current requirements of the panelboard.

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Jim will correct me if I'm wrong..
but I have seen frame size selected for:
(a) future use (a 1200 amp frame for possible future load but presently with a 600 amp rating plug to protect present wiring)
(b) to address a high fault current situation. At times a small ampere rated breaker will have the frame suitable for a larger
breaker to meet fault-current requirements of the panelboard.
I understand the breaker with higher withstand capcity would protect easier against the lower currents. In the same time we cannot increase the frame size without ruling. So i would think Jim's ratings ar ok and worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.