GFCI Rrquired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

h1h2h3

Hi all,

Here's the situation. In a dwelling kitchen, a gas stove with a 120 v cord and plug ignigtion. The stove is directly next to a sink but the receptacle is not at counter top height, it is at 18" a.f.f. My contention is that it does not require GFCI protection because it is not a countertop receptacle and 210.8 (6) states sinks-in other than kitchen areas where the receptacle is installed within 6 ft of the edge of the sink. Therefore, this does not apply to this scenario. My coworker disagrees and says that because its within 6 ft of the sink it must be gfci protected. We bet lunch on this. Was wondering what others thought. I know that if we were not in a dwelling unit, he would be correct. Thanks.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Your co-worker owes you lunch. Many code cycles ago, there was a 6' rule in the kitchen, but it only applied to the receptacles that serve the countertop, so even then the receptacle in question would not have required GFCI protection.

hurk27

Here is a PDF that you can print that shows the dates when GFCI requirements went into effect.

I have had to tell many inspectors over the years that 210.8 is not a mix and match code and each requirement in 210.8(A) (1-8) are separate and different requirements, 210.8(A)(6) only requires receptacles that serve the kitchen counter top only, if it does not serve the counter top it is not required to be GFCI protected, and you do not add the rules in 210.8(A)(7) to the rules in (6) for kitchens.

Enjoy your lunch;)

P.S. from what I have heard is that after the 2014 NEC is adopted by states and local jurisdictions then it might be required for receptacles serving appliances within 6' of the sink, but I have seen anything yet to confirm this.

Also the hight of the receptacle has no bearing on this as long as the receptacle is not over the counter and is in the wall space of the appliance.

Attachments

• GFCI_requirement_page2.pdf
    10.5 KB · Views: 0

jumper

P.S. from what I have heard is that after the 2014 NEC is adopted by states and local jurisdictions then it might be required for receptacles serving appliances within 6' of the sink, but I have seen anything yet to confirm this.

I think that it not so much as 6' from the sink, but specific appliances might get added-namely DW.

kwired

Electron manager
Agree, receptical does not need to be GFCI protected.

Not sure what code cycle the OP is installing in, but I believe the receptacle would need to be AFCI protected.

Not if the outlet is in the kitchen. Sounds like it possibly may require it in 2014 NEC though.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
... P.S. from what I have heard is that after the 2014 NEC is adopted by states and local jurisdictions then it might be required for receptacles serving appliances within 6' of the sink, but I have seen anything yet to confirm this.  ...
I think that it not so much as 6' from the sink, but specific appliances might get added-namely DW.
I don't see either of those rules in 210.8 in the draft copy of the 2014 NEC. I did not check the ROC for changes at that stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.