AC cable in California

Status
Not open for further replies.

SigmaElec

Hello All,

Can anybody fill me in on the code in California regarding AC cable? I received a complaint from a customer that stated AC cable wasn't allowed in California, only MC cable was permitted. On top of that, he said that MC cable fittings must be rated for ONLY MC cable and they must have 2 screws to secure the MC. Does any of this sound familiar? It seems a bit odd to me.

Thank you all very much.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
May be a local thing as it's not a state ammendment. As for the connectors, yes they do need to be listed for use with MC cable.

However, as long as the listing includes MC it should not matter what else it may be listed for. I have heard of the two screw requirement before but do not remember the context.

(The difference between being listed specifically for MC and being listed exclusively for MC.)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hello All,

Can anybody fill me in on the code in California regarding AC cable? I received a complaint from a customer that stated AC cable wasn't allowed in California, only MC cable was permitted. On top of that, he said that MC cable fittings must be rated for ONLY MC cable and they must have 2 screws to secure the MC. Does any of this sound familiar? It seems a bit odd to me.

Thank you all very much.

I do not think that there would be a good case for an ammendment either. A city, town or county would have to have findings of either, Climatic, geological, or topographical conditions.
I would doubt that there would be a convincing argument to not use AC cable with approved connections unless you are on the beach.

What city is this. I wonder if they even filed a ammendment.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I do not think that there would be a good case for an ammendment either. A city, town or county would have to have findings of either, Climatic, geological, or topographical conditions. ...

Around here, the city does not need a real reason to make a code change...just pass a rule.

kwired

Electron manager
Around here, the city does not need a real reason to make a code change...just pass a rule.

And probably same just about anywhere else. If there is enough opposition to something, then the rules get challenged otherwise they just have their way with the rule making process.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The California Building Code does state that local amendments are not permitted unless needed per the reasons Sierra posted. The amendment must be filed with the state. Unfortunately may jurisdictions choose to ignore California Law and make up their own code.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
The California Building Code does state that local amendments are not permitted unless needed per the reasons Sierra posted. The amendment must be filed with the state. Unfortunately may jurisdictions choose to ignore California Law and make up their own code.

Ain't that the truth.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.