Terminal lug with multiple conductor connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

james95119

Does the 10 foot tap rule apply if i wanna connect multiple conductors to a single terminal?
Reason im asking is that i have a project where i need to tap between a meter and the dwelling unit panel. We are installing an electric vehicle charging station that will be more than 25 from the where the meter is.

you need to clarify what type of conductor you are tapping. The "10 foot rule" is for feeder taps not service conductors. You can tap service conductors but you will have to make the tap in an approved way (not "double lugging" a lug that is listed for only one conductor", and the disconnects may have to be grouped and you will have to meet one of the exceptions for supplying more than one set of service entrance conductor sets. See 230.40 and 230.72. This can be confusing: Start with 230.40 to see if you can supply more than one set of service entrance conductors, and then you can have up to 6 disconnects grouped at each of those locations

james95119

its a feeder

its a feeder

you need to clarify what type of conductor you are tapping. The "10 foot rule" is for feeder taps not service conductors. You can tap service conductors but you will have to make the tap in an approved way (not "double lugging" a lug that is listed for only one conductor", and the disconnects may have to be grouped and you will have to meet one of the exceptions for supplying more than one set of service entrance conductor sets. See 230.40 and 230.72. This can be confusing: Start with 230.40 to see if you can supply more than one set of service entrance conductors, and then you can have up to 6 disconnects grouped at each of those locations

Im assuming it is a feeder conductor because the pge service comes into to an MSB-->meter-->breaker and the goes out and feeds the unit's panelboard.
I want to clarify my question: we want to add a PDB (in a metal wireway) between the meter and the unit's panel to distribute power to the new charging station. Is this configuration considered to be a "feeder tap"?

Im assuming it is a feeder conductor because the pge service comes into to an MSB-->meter-->breaker and the goes out and feeds the unit's panelboard.
I want to clarify my question: we want to add a PDB (in a metal wireway) between the meter and the unit's panel to distribute power to the new charging station. Is this configuration considered to be a "feeder tap"?

yes sounds like a feeder. I am not sure what a msb and pdb are. But yes you can tap the feeder as long as you adhere to the appropriate tap rule and make the splice with approved connectors and in a properly sized box appropriate for the environment. One potential problem is if the feeder was sized for "residential" and if you tap it then it will not be carrying the full load of the service which would disallow the reduced size.

james95119

yes sounds like a feeder. I am not sure what a msb and pdb are. But yes you can tap the feeder as long as you adhere to the appropriate tap rule and make the splice with approved connectors and in a properly sized box appropriate for the environment. One potential problem is if the feeder was sized for "residential" and if you tap it then it will not be carrying the full load of the service which would disallow the reduced size.

the msb is the main switchboard and pdb is a power distribution block (where the tapping/splicing will occur)

Status
Not open for further replies.