110.26/ 440.14 violation am i right? were a full service shop,our a/c guy put this in

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In my opinion it is entirly up to the inspector to determine if those switches require servicing while energized.

I agree but what's your opinion Bob? The few times that I had to troubleshoot an AC unit the first thing I did, after ensuring that the CB wasn't tripped or off, was to check the disconnect for proper voltage.

iwire

Staff member
I agree but what's your opinion Bob? The few times that I had to troubleshoot an AC unit the first thing I did, after ensuring that the CB wasn't tripped or off, was to check the disconnect for proper voltage.

I think that is a choice (one that I would likely make as well) but not required.

(A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating
at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to
require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance
while energized shall comply with the dimensions of
110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted
elsewhere in this Code.

I also think people get too caught up in these type of installations when disconnect switches are routinely installed in areas that 110.26 cannot be complied with such as HVAC equipment above suspended ceilings, underground equipment spaces etc.

I have no problem with that but there was room to move everything you do it right the first time so why shouldn't we do it right the first time

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

kwired

Electron manager
I think that is a choice (one that I would likely make as well) but not required.

I also think people get too caught up in these type of installations when disconnect switches are routinely installed in areas that 110.26 cannot be complied with such as HVAC equipment above suspended ceilings, underground equipment spaces etc.
I have to agree with you, it says "likely to require examination, adjustment...." that word "likely" in there leaves the interpretation wide open. Anyone ever removed a cover from a junction box while there were energized conductors inside and the box didn't have 110.26 working space in front of it? Maybe you were even laying down in a crawl space when you did this task? Maybe you were even laying down in a crawl space while working on HVAC equipment, and you happened to do some voltage or current testing:eek:hmy:

I have no problem with that but there was room to move everything you do it right the first time so why shouldn't we do it right the first time

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
What is right? There are probably many possible ways to do that installation.

What about the gray PVC pipe below your disconnects? It is likely in the "dedicated equipment space". Though one may disqualify this one because your disconnects probably are not "switchboards, panelboards, or motor control centers" But had you used a single breaker enclosure for each disconnecting means, it still would be likely be considered a panelboard.:roll:

mwm1752

I have two question prior to making the call.
Do you have ready access to the branch circuit OC device?
Is this a non fused disconnect?
Both would have to be a yes answer for consideration.
If the OC device can be accessed any time(no locked doors) and a breaker lock is in place then service can be done without circuit being energized.
If this is a non fused disconnect there is no need for it to be energized to check for damage.
I do agree that personally in any case I would have found a more accessible location, but code is minimum.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I have two question prior to making the call.
Do you have ready access to the branch circuit OC device?
Is this a non fused disconnect?
Both would have to be a yes answer for consideration.
If the OC device can be accessed any time(no locked doors) and a breaker lock is in place then service can be done without circuit being energized.
If this is a non fused disconnect there is no need for it to be energized to check for damage.
I do agree that personally in any case I would have found a more accessible location, but code is minimum.

Last I remember it is a little difficult to do voltage testing if it is not energized;)

kwired

Electron manager
Can be done at the panel or in the unit j box. Continuity can test the knife switch. There are not any set ways to trouble shoot. ;)

I didn't say there wasn't other things or methods to possibly check, all I said is it is hard to check voltage if it is not energized:happyyes:

Checking continuity of a knife switch doesn't tell me current operating voltage:p

m sleem

Exemplary Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
Occupation
Health
Ref to 110.26(C)(1), i think the room also requires a door not a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.