No announcement yet.

210.12 (A) Laundry areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Bob what can I say,.. I guess until there is a formal interpretation on every conceivable code question things will always be gray .But I've got a feeling on this issue in a code cycle or two it won't matter much AFCI/ GFCI will be every where and when that day comes people will still find nits to pick.
    [COLOR=black][COLOR=black]"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
    If we falter and lose our freedoms,
    it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    [/COLOR][/COLOR]
    Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by M. D. View Post
      check your state you may find it's similar ,.. but Bob is from mass and though not quoted I wanted him to see it too
      Not much to check that I am aware of. Most of the state electrical is all that is inspected, especially when it comes to dwellings. Larger cities (which are not all that large compared to what you are probably used to) often have their own building dept, but out here in the boonies we get building permits mostly so the assessor has a record to go on and in more recent years the use of non residential property has become more of an environmental concern and they want to review the use of the property before granting permission to build it. But how it is constructed is generally not much concern as long as it doesn't have potential environmental impact. Fire marshal does have some input on facilities open to the general public though and will have some building code concerns but they don't get into every little detail like they do in many other places.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by north star View Post
        Legally & ethically, an inspector cannot and should not be deciding
        where the Laundry Area starts and where it ends........These type
        of defined areas should be on the submitted plans........
        Very true, but with open living type homes I bet there is no dotted line on the prints distinguishing one area from another area. Say the kitchen area from the dinning area.

The
        submitted plans should be reviewed and approved for construction.
        If there are questions or inconsistencies on the submitted plans,
        then those issues should be addressed before the permit is issued,
        Many areas do not do electrical plan review or even require electrical plans.
        Last edited by iwire; 04-19-14, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by iwire View Post
          Very true, but with open living type homes I better there is no dotted line on the prints distinguishing one area from another area. Say the kitchen area from the dinning area.

Many areas do not do electrical plan review or even require electrical plans.
          Other than on this forum, those are things I have never heard of. In fact more then 75% of what I do has no plan other then what plans I make myself. I may know some major items that will need to be supplied, but beyond that it is all up to me to decide how it is done most of the time.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

I'm working up an estimate to completely rewire a individual's summer camp. It qualifies as a dwelling unit. It has never had laundry equipment and probably never will (rather small building). Do I still have to provide a laundry circuit?
            Last edited by fmtjfw; 04-19-14, 11:59 AM. Reason: added "'m"

Comment

[COLOR=#6600ff]: = : = : = :[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#008000]"**iwire** stated:

Very true, but with open living type homes I bet there is no dotted line on the prints distinguishing one area from another area. Say the kitchen area from the dinning area."[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#b22222]Agreed, but the intent & requirement to identify various areas
              within the built environment IS a code requirement.

[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]From the`12 IRC,Section R106.1.1 - Information on construction documents:
              "[/COLOR]
              [COLOR=#0000ff]Construction documents shall be drawn upon suitable material...........Electronic
              media documents are permitted to be submitted when approved by the building
              official..............
              [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate
              the location,
              [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff] nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that it
              will conform to the provisions of this code and relevant laws, ordinances, rules
              and regulations, as determined by the building official."
              [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]

From the `12 IBC, Section
              [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000FF]107.2.1 - Information on construction documents:
              "Construction documents shall be dimensioned and drawn upon suitable material.
              Electronic media documents are permitted to be submitted when approved by the
              building official.............[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to
              indicate the location,[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000FF] nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail
              that it will conform to the provisions of this code and relevant laws, ordinances,
              rules and regulations, as determined by the building official."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]

A challenge to all contractors, ...Inspectors, ...Code Officials and others
              interested in the codes and standards.

Even though this is a Forum dedicated primarily to the electrical codes and
              standards, ...please know that there are a lot of codes and standards to be
              considered & adhered to, besides the electrical codes discussed here.
              As contractors, ...Inspectors and Code Officials, we ALL should be
              promoting the awareness \ discussion \ research of the various codes that
              ARE in the built environment.........At the very least, be aware that there are
              other codes and standards out there, ...besides just your own electrical
              work !
              [/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222]

Now, ...go forth and educate the masses all the more !
              [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by north star View Post

[COLOR=#b22222]Agreed, but the intent & requirement to identify various areas
                within the built environment IS a code requirement.

[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]From the`12 IRC,Section R106.1.1 - Information on construction documents:
                "[/COLOR]
                [COLOR=#0000ff]Construction documents shall be drawn upon suitable material...........Electronic
                media documents are permitted to be submitted when approved by the building
                official..............
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to indicate
                the location,
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff] nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail that it
                will conform to the provisions of this code and relevant laws, ordinances, rules
                and regulations, as determined by the building official."
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000ff]

From the `12 IBC, Section
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000FF]107.2.1 - Information on construction documents:
                "Construction documents shall be dimensioned and drawn upon suitable material.
                Electronic media documents are permitted to be submitted when approved by the
                building official.............[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]Construction documents shall be of sufficient clarity to
                indicate the location,[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000FF] nature and extent of the work proposed and show in detail
                that it will conform to the provisions of this code and relevant laws, ordinances,
                rules and regulations, as determined by the building official."[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]

A challenge to all contractors, ...Inspectors, ...Code Officials and others
                interested in the codes and standards.

Even though this is a Forum dedicated primarily to the electrical codes and
                standards, ...please know that there are a lot of codes and standards to be
                considered & adhered to, besides the electrical codes discussed here.
                As contractors, ...Inspectors and Code Officials, we ALL should be
                promoting the awareness \ discussion \ research of the various codes that
                ARE in the built environment.........At the very least, be aware that there are
                other codes and standards out there, ...besides just your own electrical
                work !
                [/COLOR][COLOR=#b22222]

Now, ...go forth and educate the masses all the more !
                [/COLOR]

And again, that information as colorful and informative as it is provides no help when there are often no prints or plan review.

Comment

[COLOR=#ff0066]= ( ) =
                  [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=#0000cd] Me like color !
                  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=#ff0066]= ( ) =[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                  X