High Ampacity Conductors for Large Motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Ampacity Conductors for Large Motors

Is there any NEC approved high capacity cabling for wiring 600hp, 720AMP (nameplate) motors? Is diesel locomotive cable ( RHH, RHW-2) the highest capacity that can be used? Even with this type cable is would still take 720 x 1.25 = 900AMPs of cable at 75 degrees C because the 90 degree C is only for de-rating.

What is the system voltage?

Originally posted by Leo1 View Post
    Is there any NEC approved high capacity cabling for wiring 600hp, 720AMP (nameplate) motors? Is diesel locomotive cable ( RHH, RHW-2) the highest capacity that can be used? Even with this type cable is would still take 720 x 1.25 = 900AMPs of cable at 75 degrees C because the 90 degree C is only for de-rating.
    PJHolguin 8-)

Comment

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by pjholguin View Post
        The 720A suggests 460V.
        Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.[/COLOR]

Comment

It does not matter what kind of conductor you use. You still need 900A of ampacity. In most cases you cannot exceed the 75 deg C column in the chart.

1000 kcm is the largest wire I have even heard of. I doubt that even it is sufficient for 900A.

I think you will need to run smaller conductors in parallel. maybe two sets of 2X 250 kcm in 2 conduits.
            Bob

Comment

Don, Illinois
              (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Can you use 3-350mcm THHN per phase?

We've done 500HP 480v motors and it took 2-500mcm THHN per phase. How many and what size conduit entries into the motors j-box? That'll usually dictate what your options are.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow View Post
                  ... How many and what size conduit entries into the motors j-box? That'll usually dictate what your options are.
                  Not always. Many are removable, and I've seen termination boxes replaced with larger ones.

Comment

Originally posted by pjholguin View Post
                    480VAC, 3 phase

Comment

480VAC, 3 phase
                      Bummer. I got it wrong. Silly me. I was thinking of the motor voltage. We daft Brits don't distinguish between supply voltage and motor voltage.
                      Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Comment

If you find higher ampacity conductors you are still limited by termination temperature ratings. And for 600 volt and less that is almost always going to be limited to 75C.
                        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                        X