Article 513 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick5280

Article 513 lists rules for aircraft hangers. Section 513.7(c) includes receptacles in a list of those items which may produce arcs. This section then goes on to say that any of this equipment, including receptacles, can be installed if "totally enclosed".

I found a Navy spec sheet that shows a totally enclosed receptacle, which is a 20amp outlet in a formed handy box, with a metal cover. See attachment.

I want to know if this setup (attachment) meets the intent of 513.7(c). If it does not, can someone supply a link to equipment which would meet it? I know explosion-proof equipment would, but I want something that is not explosion-proof.

Thanks

Rick

Attachments

• totallyenclosed rec.pdf
    61.3 KB · Views: 0

deee

Aircraft Hangers

Aircraft Hangers

513.4 is probably what you need to read, however the location and classification is also a big help. Look at the requirements in 513.3. you can then find out what the listing is for that device you have to determine if it fits your application.

rick5280

Golddigger, that is what I wondered.

So am I looking at an explosion-proof receptacle, pin & sleeve, etc...?

Rick

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Golddigger, that is what I wondered.

So am I looking at an explosion-proof receptacle, pin & sleeve, etc...?

Rick
That would be my guess, although it is not my area of expertise. Just putting a standard receptacle inside an enclosure would require you to shut down activity just to open the box and plug something in.
You can have a non sparking connector that is not necessarily explosion proof.

rick5280

"You can have a non sparking connector that is not necessarily explosion proof."

Can you provide examples of this?

Thanks

Rick

rick5280

Ok, thanks anyway. I will keep looking for the correct equipment.

Thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving !!

Rick

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm looking at 513.7E and F in the 2011 code.

I don't completely understand it, but it mentions locking type receptacles IF they are more than 18" above the floor, and more than 5' away from engines or fuel tanks. So locking type receptacles are required for areas outside 513.3 B and C areas.

But I'm not sure what they mean by a stanchion, rostrum, or dock. Maybe they are saying the locking type outlets are allowed if there is a platform that keeps sparks from falling into the area up to 18" AFF?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I basically endorse steve66's Post 9. For it not being an "area of expertise", GoldDigger also did a respectable job based only on the text offered.

As is often the case, the "key" is reading a whole sentence or, in this case, a whole clause: "... shall be of the totally enclosed type or constructed so as to prevent the escape of sparks or hot metal particles." Virtually any "break before disconnect" will meet this requirement. Many "twist-locking" types will.

Status
Not open for further replies.