This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Motor run in reverse?

Bob, I was going to bed. Now I have to convince you that only one of us can be right and I think it should be me.

Actually I've decided that debating when and where and why you should or shouldn't call a neutral a neutral isn't really necessary at least as far as NEC conductor terminology.

It hasn't taken me long to see that there are some significant and also well founded fellings related to the use of the term "neutral".

This stuff is pretty fundimental to all of us and therefore also stirs up controversy.

Any wonder the CMP's would rather leave it out. I now agree. :cool:
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

Comment

Originally posted by physis:
      This stuff is pretty fundimental to all of us and therefore also stirs up controversy.
      Very true, I agree entirely, the first time this issue was brought to my attention I said "What the ^%# of course it is a neutral"

After thinking on it it became clear in my mind it was only a grounded conductor.

[quote]Originally posted by physis:
      [b]Any wonder the CMP's would rather leave it out. I now agree. Just kidding, I think they just are having a hard time coming up with a rock solid definition.

Roger or Don could elaborate on this.

Now get in bed so you are well rested for work.

Comment

And it's the equipment grounding conductor that Don wants changed to equipment bonding conductor. Which I fully support if I can have the omission of the word equipment.

Comment

Yeah yeah, I'm trying to.

It really is amazing how much thought something that seems so simple takes. A lot of ways of looking at it.

Good night Bob, I'll argue with you more tommorow.

Comment

In causal conversation I would call it a neutral, in technical discussions like we have here on this board I call it the grounded conductor

Comment

Sam,
              The word "equipment" in equipment bonding jumper is required because there are other types of bonding jumpers.
              Don
              Don, Illinois
              (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

This is getting amusing!

Okay, my last post on the subject, but just to make sure we are on the same page:

Is this what we are talking about? If so, I can agree with this.

And we can pretty much say that the light bulb in the drawing is not connected to the neutral either. In fact, no utilization equipment is ever connected to the neutral, not just motors?

IBEW LU 716

Comment

When I made my statement on Page 1 - "You should never see a neutral wire connected to a motor." - I was thinking in terms of a real motor.
                  You know, on it's own branch circuit, with a disconnecting means, and starter, etc. Code legal.

Of course, it is possible in theory to connect a motor with a light to a multi-wire circuit as Crossman has depicted above, and it is indeed connected to the neutral.

But, out in the real world - - - -

Ed

[ January 04, 2005, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

Comment

Originally posted by Ed MacLaren:
                    2. The center ice zone in a hockey arena.
                    A truly Canadian example.

Comment

Crossarm, (or any other drawing savvy person )

Could you tell us how you are making your drawings? It looks like Word to me, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I've been scribbling those things out in microsoft paint mostly likely contained in your "accesorries" folder. It takes a little bit to get the hang of it, but it isn't hard. And the drawings are kind of comical to an extent.

Definitely a picture is worth a thousand words. If not for me making those drawings, I would still be arguing with iwire about the subpanel thread... making the drawing turned on a light bulb in my head and i saw where I was wrong!
                        IBEW LU 716

Comment

I want to know how to get a stupid image posted, or anything other than text. The few times I've tried, nothin doin.

Comment

Originally posted by physis:
                            I want to know how to get a stupid image posted, or anything other than text. The few times I've tried, nothin doin.
                            Sam go here.

Posting Images to this Forum

Comment

Because the MHE forum, like most others, does not permit file uploading, you have to upload the image file that you want to include in your post to a separate "web server".
                              This would be your own or a friends website, or one of the commercial sites that host photos, etc.

To include that image file in your Code Forum posting you then create a link to it-

1. On the "Add new Topic" or the "Post a Reply" page, just below the message box you will see a group of "buttons".
                              2. Clicking the one marked IMAGE will open a small script box where you enter the URL (web server address) where the image file resides.
                              3. Click OK. This enters the image file URL into your message.
                              4. Before posting, you may want to click the "Preview Post" button to ensure that the image is actually included, and that it is the correct one, etc.
                              5. When everything is the way you want it to appear, click the "Post" button.

Hope this helps,
                              Ed

Comment

This is one of the neutral distribution facilities where specially trained "neutral engineers" insure that all the secret neutral conductors are hidden from public awareness.

Bob, Ed, Crossman, Midget:

I'm kidding.

[ January 04, 2005, 07:50 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Comment

Working...
                                X