Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AFCI protection @ 1st device

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    AFCI protection @ 1st device

    Can someone please tell me if I am understanding this correctly?

    I cannot seem to find my 2014 NEC as I am in the process of moving. Rewiring a bedroom for a friend. Most of the house is knob and tube but I will be removing it from the bedroom and dead ending it and capping and blanking it off. For all intents and purposes the bedroom will be completely rewired appropriately. They have fuse boxes not breakers but $ is tight and it is not financially an option at this time to upgrade or swap out panels. So, If i were to run a 14-2 MC or Steel AC cable from the fuse box to the first outlet (25' run) and install a metal outlet box at the first receptacle, install an AFCI type receptacle and then run the rest in romex and plastic boxes, is that the acceptable method to date?

    Thanks guys. As always I know someone will take the time to answer and for that I am very grateful.

    #2
    Originally posted by h1h2h3 View Post
    Can someone please tell me if I am understanding this correctly?

    I cannot seem to find my 2014 NEC as I am in the process of moving. Rewiring a bedroom for a friend. Most of the house is knob and tube but I will be removing it from the bedroom and dead ending it and capping and blanking it off. For all intents and purposes the bedroom will be completely rewired appropriately. They have fuse boxes not breakers but $ is tight and it is not financially an option at this time to upgrade or swap out panels. So, If i were to run a 14-2 MC or Steel AC cable from the fuse box to the first outlet (25' run) and install a metal outlet box at the first receptacle, install an AFCI type receptacle and then run the rest in romex and plastic boxes, is that the acceptable method to date?

    Thanks guys. As always I know someone will take the time to answer and for that I am very grateful.
    I believe you would be OK with what you propose, but may find it easier or about as cost effective to supply a breaker panel, even if just a 4-6 circuit panel for now so you can install AFCI breaker in it. You can probably get that panel for about $20 or so and can move breakers to new panel sometime when you do make that change, plus you can easily add another circuit or two if that comes up before a panel change does.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

    Comment


      #3
      I believe that in the 2014 NEC, if the run is 14-2 & 50 feet or less, NM (romex) is permissible, using an AFCI receptacle & marking the first box of the circuit as such.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JDB3 View Post
        I believe that in the 2014 NEC, if the run is 14-2 & 50 feet or less, NM (romex) is permissible, using an AFCI receptacle & marking the first box of the circuit as such.
        That, IMHO, would only be allowed if the receptacle AFCI and the branch breaker were combination listed for that application. That has not happened yet....

        Comment


          #5
          Will the sheath of the armored cable be an effective ground path with a fuse box being the start of the grounding system? Don't forget the K&T leaves the fuse box using insulated bushings. Just curious. If you install s small sub panel will you have to update the grounding ? Again, just curious.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by JDB3 View Post
            I believe that in the 2014 NEC, if the run is 14-2 & 50 feet or less, NM (romex) is permissible, using an AFCI receptacle & marking the first box of the circuit as such.
            Have you seen people do this?

            Comment


              #7
              Place an Blank Face AFCI where a GFCI is in this picture. And mark it as required in 210.12(A)(4)(c)

              http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251

              Click image for larger version

Name:	AFCI.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	2372125
              Inspector MikeĀ®
              ESI

              Comment


                #8
                PS. I would download this and keep it:

                http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibcGe...minisite=10251

                'IF' there might be a conflict with my or any other inspectors interpretation of 210.12 'I' would accept the fact that the manufacture is stating that it's product satisfies 210.12.
                Inspector MikeĀ®
                ESI

                Comment


                  #9

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jxofaltrds View Post
                    Place an Blank Face AFCI where a GFCI is in this picture. And mark it as required in 210.12(A)(4)(c)

                    http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/Produ...minisite=10251

                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]12451[/ATTACH]
                    You two are talking about two different situations. Mike's home run is inside metal raceway and Sierra's home run is NM-B. Two different Code passages.
                    Another Al in Minnesota

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by al hildenbrand View Post
                      You two are talking about two different situations. Mike's home run is inside metal raceway and Sierra's home run is NM-B. Two different Code passages.
                      Oh I thought we were still on the NM and the AFCI to the first box.

                      Sorry.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Here's the section. IMHO I believe the OP is correct but somehow I think # 5 should have come before # 4 :

                        210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
                        (A) Dwelling Units.

                        ...............or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of
                        the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

                        (4) A listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter
                        installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit
                        in combination with a listed branch-circuit overcurrent
                        protective device where all(5) If RMC, IMC, EMT, Type MC, or steel-armored Type
                        AC cables meeting the requirements of 250.118, metal
                        wireways, metal auxiliary gutters, and metal outlet and
                        junction boxes are installed for the portion of the
                        branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent
                        device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install
                        a listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet
                        to provide protection for the remaining portion of
                        the branch circuit.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I've read, and re-read, and I am still trying to understand the original post.

                          Originally posted by h1h2h3 View Post
                          I cannot seem to find my 2014 NEC as I am in the process of moving.
                          Where have you looked?!? Where on earth did you move...?

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by George Stolz View Post
                            I've read, and re-read, and I am still trying to understand the original post.



                            Where have you looked?!? Where on earth did you move...?
                            I don't find that hard to believe or understand. My guess is the OP is saying everything is boxed up or not in it's usual place because of the move.
                            [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Little Bill View Post
                              I don't find that hard to believe or understand. My guess is the OP is saying everything is boxed up or not in it's usual place because of the move.
                              You misplace children during a move, not code books.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X