Maintaining a NEMA rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flightline

Just as there are numerous different "protections" that the different NEMA ratings for encosures afford wiring, and as we must choose the right NEMA rating for a piece of equipment we install, where is the code section that dictates, (specifically if possible), how we maintain that rating? That's kinda' cryptic so let me offer a "for instance"

Lets say we have a 200 amp overhead meter socket for installation on the exterior of a building. The meter socket is rated, among other things, NEMA 3R. ( This could also be a disconnect switch, or pullbox for most of this discussion) For top entrance, the manufacturer provides a raised lip/opening and we bolt on the threaded hub. The combination of the raised lip and the threaded conduit connection that the hub affords maintains the NEMA rating. (when properly installed)

But let's say that you must enter the side of the enlosure, whatever it is. If you are using rigid conduit, regular locknuts & bushing, [I believe], won't maintain the NEMA 3R rating. You could use sealing locknuts or conduit hubs. If you use a no-thread connector, or compression thinwall connector, are you required to provide "supplemental" gasketing to maintain the NEMA 3R rating? You buy fittings for liquidtight flexible metallic conduit, and manufacturers sometimes provide a plastic sealing ring between the conduit body and the locknut. You install "Bell" or FS type boxes, and they employ threaded hubs for connection.

What brings me to this question? Well, I had an electrician install some real nice, (and $$$) Square D Heavy Duty 3R disconnects for some A/C condensing units and piped into the side. He hole sawed the conduit entrances with a bit that was off center enough to provide a hole out of round enough that I could see light through, with the "set-screw" no thread connector installed. When I cited the electrician for not maintaining the NEMA rating, and installing an "improper fitting" requiring one that is suitable for use in the environment to which it is exposed, he came back with an attitude telling me to show him "where in the code" this was. I was at a disadvantage and could only cite the workmamlike, closing openings, and other such "generic" code sections.

I wrote to NEMA and UL asking for some direction or an answer, but have never received a response. I didn't want to bother the forum without trying to do my homework first. I hope you can help, and I thank you in advance for your time.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Re: Maintaining a NEMA rating.

Were the holes above or below the current carrying parts?

Above, then the integrity of the enclosure may be compromised.

Below, holes do not impact the enclosure, as long as they are smaller than 1/4".

NEMA only establishes performance criteria. NEMA 3R enclosures are to provide a degree of protection against falling rain and sleet.

UL bases it testing on NEMA but does not exactly duplicate the NEMA criteria. UL 3R enclosures are not tested for protection against falling sleet.

iwire

Staff member

The connector you show is a dry location fitting, so it would be a violation of 110.3(B)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The factory provided KOs on the 3R enclosures are all below the lowest part of the electrical equipment within the enclosure. I see no problem with the use of standard locknuts and bushings where conduits are installed in the provided KOs. If a hole is field cut, and is above the internal electrical parts, then I think you have a problem.
Don

iwire

Staff member

Don, Forgetting about the disconnect, when can you use dry connectors in wet locations?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If you are using a connector, then you need a connector that is "rain tight", but I see no difference between a "rain tight" connector and threaded conduit with locknuts as far as the box entry is concerned.
Don

flightline

Additional info...

The conduit entrance was towards the top of the disconnect switch, above the operating mechanism & rod on which the knife blades pivot.

russ

How about 314.15. This installation sounds like it has a problem preventing moisture from entering the disco.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.