Coach light with built in GFCI and cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horst

I always seem to find trouble! New residential construction, we installed customer supplied coach lights from Home Depot; they have a GFCI outlet on the side of them, and the cover seems to be modeled after a damp location cover. My guys called me on this one and said hey "this is a wet location" can we use these. I said NO!!! Must be an in-use cover. Well, a few minutes later my guy calls and says "they are UL listed and they state they are approved for wet location" . The owner is in love with these, probably would not sleep nights if they were not installed.... Anyway, failed my inspection today for a violation of 406.8(b) ~ I feel like the inspector is right, but in the back of my mind I have to question; how can a UL rated assembly be listed for a wet location and violate the NEC? Or am I reaching thinking that the UL even cares about the NEC? Any thoughts?

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I always seem to find trouble! New residential construction, we installed customer supplied coach lights from Home Depot; they have a GFCI outlet on the side of them, and the cover seems to be modeled after a damp location cover. My guys called me on this one and said hey "this is a wet location" can we use these. I said NO!!! Must be an in-use cover. Well, a few minutes later my guy calls and says "they are UL listed and they state they are approved for wet location" . The owner is in love with these, probably would not sleep nights if they were not installed.... Anyway, failed my inspection today for a violation of 406.8(b) ~ I feel like the inspector is right, but in the back of my mind I have to question; how can a UL rated assembly be listed for a wet location and violate the NEC? Or am I reaching thinking that the UL even cares about the NEC? Any thoughts?

Rated for wet location with cover closed so inspector is saying you need cover rated for wet location when in use

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
~ I feel like the inspector is right, but in the back of my mind I have to question; how can a UL rated assembly be listed for a wet location and violate the NEC? Or am I reaching thinking that the UL even cares about the NEC? Any thoughts?
I agree with you.

It would be a cool thing to see this pursued all the way up the chain of command. Can you just pull out the plug and blank the opening until then?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can still, AFAIK, buy receptacle boxes with covers that are wet rsted only when closed. They are UL approved under the applicable standard for wet rated when closed.
That does not mean that they can be used where the NEC requires in-use covers (which are also UL listed to a different standard.

Horst

THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

I was hoping someone would have a "answer I wanted to hear" but.... The removal of the device (and blanking) would be a great option; but probably would be easier to replace the fixture and let the owner put them back up after inspection; plus, that would violate the UL assembly! As would attempting to install a bubble cover (not an option due to design of light). But not using it EVER would meet the UL wet location listing, what if I promised the inspector we would never use it! That was a joke.... Thanks everyone, will change the fixture!

bphgravity

I don't believe the product violates the NEC or it's product standard. The entire assembly may be listed for a wet location by it's listing standard, but only permitted to be installed in a damp location per the NEC.

I would be interested in seeing the installation instructions provided with the product. I personally feel the manufacturer should have a statement included in the instructions making note to this issue. Something tells me they don't. The big box home improvement stores have had a history of offering products that may not be or should not be approved for installation or use.

This assumes the installation is made in an area that require permits and have inspections. This also assumes the purchaser of this product will obtain the required permits and schedule an inspection. I would guess that most products sold at the big box home improvement stores are for existing buildings undergoing alteration by the owner of that building who may or may not be aware of all the regulatory issues and/or code requirements associated with the installation of these products.

iwire

Staff member
I don't believe the product violates the NEC or it's product standard. The entire assembly may be listed for a wet location by it's listing standard, but only permitted to be installed in a damp location per the NEC.

I firmly believe that is the answer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that is probably correct, but I find it to be very misleading. Why would it be listed for a wet location, where there are no locations where the NEC would permit it to be installed in a wet location?

I even wonder if really just fixture has the wet location listing and the manufacturer changed the design to add the receptacle without consulting with the listing agency?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
More likely it was designed and rested at a time when NEC did not require in use covers and the design was never changed. It still meets the current UL standard.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
406.9 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.
(A) Damp Locations. A receptacle installed outdoors in a
location protected from the weather or in other damp locations
shall have an enclosure for the receptacle that is
weatherproof when the receptacle is covered (attachment
plug cap not inserted and receptacle covers closed).
An installation suitable for wet locations shall also be
considered suitable for damp locations.
A receptacle shall be considered to be in a location
protected from the weather where located under roofed
open porches, canopies, marquees, and the like, and will
not be subjected to a beating rain or water runoff. All
15- and 20-ampere, 125- and 2S0-volt nonlocking receptacles
shall be a listed weather-resistant type.

does this device have overhead cover of some sort?

Status
Not open for further replies.