(MOV) Varistor in j-box

Status
Not open for further replies.

skennedy

I have run into some ceiling fan installs that sales people are telling the home owners to have me install a varister or MOV in the line side between the neutral and 120V supply for surge protection for the remote units. After some research I have found that when the varister fails it can pop and be a fire hazard. Does the NEC allow such an install into a fan j-box?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have run into some ceiling fan installs that sales people are telling the home owners to have me install a varister or MOV in the line side between the neutral and 120V supply for surge protection for the remote units. After some research I have found that when the varister fails it can pop and be a fire hazard. Does the NEC allow such an install into a fan j-box?
Off hand I'd say yes...

...but only if it is a listed fan and the installation of the MOV is specified in the instructions.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I would say that the code does not prohibit such an installation.

Unless the instructions that came with the fan prohibit it, I don't see an issue.

Varistors do occasionally "pop", but they rarely catch on fire, especially in a metal box. Personally, I would not bother to install one at the fan itself.

kwired

Electron manager
Ask the sales people why their equipment is "too cheap" to incorporate the MOV's in the product at the factory. If they want added protection a "whole house" protector should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.