GFCI protection for above bath tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShauwnC

I am currently having a debate and want to know what article applies to recessed lights above a regular bath tub and wether they require GFCI protection or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm going to have to DISagree in part with electricmanscott and iwire. If this is in a park trailer or if the manufacturer instructions say so and that tub has a 'shower head' like most do, then yes. 2014 NEC Park trailers 552.54(B)

Manufacturer's Instructions NEC 110.3(B)

Here is a shower light by Kohler that requires gfci protection in its instructions.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1015878_4.pdf

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I'm going to have to DISagree in part with electricmanscott and iwire. If this is in a park trailer or if the manufacturer instructions say so and that tub has a 'shower head' like most do, then yes. 2014 NEC Park trailers 552.54(B)

Manufacturer's Instructions NEC 110.3(B)

Here is a shower light by Kohler that requires gfci protection in its instructions.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1015878_4.pdf
You are correct about the manufacturer's instructions, but that is one can light with that restriction. There are many others that do not have that requirement in the instructions.

The park trailer reference is a narrow one. Bathrooms in those things are smaller than a phone booth.

You are correct about the manufacturer's instructions, but that is one can light with that restriction. There are many others that do not have that requirement in the instructions.

The park trailer reference is a narrow one. Bathrooms in those things are smaller than a phone booth.

That maybe, but most that I have seen have those instructions. Also, UL requires that fan/light combo units be gfci protected. If it is just a light then you might get away with not having it depending on what the instructions say. But combos, no.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
By the way, I forgot to mention the 'hot' tub. It is still a tub. ;-) NEC 680.43(B)(1)
A tub by another name is a different kind of wet as far as the NEC defines it.

680.2 Definitions
Spa or Hot Tub. A hydromassage pool, or tub for recre-
ational or therapeutic use, not located in health care facili-
ties, designed for immersion of users, and usually having a
filter, heater, and motor-driven blower. It may be installed
indoors or outdoors, on the ground or supporting structure,
or in the ground or supporting structure. Generally, a spa or
hot tub is not designed or intended to have its contents
drained or discharged after each use.

680.43 Indoor Installations
A spa or hot tub installed indoors shall comply with the pro-
visions of Parts I and II of this article except as modified by
this section and shall be connected by the wiring methods of
Chapter 3.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I'm going to have to DISagree in part with electricmanscott and iwire.
And I will DISagree right back at you. :happyyes: The OP's question did not ask if it was ever required. It was more generic. And speaking in generic terms, the application described does not, by itself, require GFCI. :happyno:

Status
Not open for further replies.