Compliant Tap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael15956

Existing outside fused disconnect with 100amp fuses. The load lugs have #10awg conductors terminated that also run outside underground to a single OCPD rated at 30amps. The OCPD is inside a building nearest the point of entry. Is this a compliant install?

Yes, I know the fuses can be changed, but I'm trying to understand the tap rules better.

raider1

Staff member
Yes, what you describe would be compliant with the outside taps of unlimited length in 240.21(B)(5) provided that the tap conductors are protected from physical damage in an approved manner.

Chris

Michael15956

Yes, what you describe would be compliant with the outside taps of unlimited length in 240.21(B)(5) provided that the tap conductors are protected from physical damage in an approved manner.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

I think on the said tap install there would be no short circuit protection but there would be over current protection. So, is there any limitations where this tap can be used?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm confused as to why you'd have 100A fuses on a circuit that's only 30A. Is it because those load lugs have other conductors terminated on them? That in itself may not be compliant even if the tap rules are not violated. It depends on the listing and instructions for the lugs.

Notwithstanding your comment about learning the rules, if the 30A circuit is the only circuit on the disco then my attitude would probably be to change the fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.