Number of required outlets in kitchen island

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

Does the same rule of only needing one receptacle apply to a kitchen island that has a raised backsplash? There is no sink in the island. The backsplash is 8'' tall.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In general an island countertop only requires one receptacle if not broken into separate spaces by a sink or other appliance, etc. If there is a wall then the 12"/24" rule would apply but then that wouldn't really be an island. Now if someone wants to call a backsplash a wall then we'll have a different argument. :)

crtemp

In general an island countertop only requires one receptacle if not broken into separate spaces by a sink or other appliance, etc. If there is a wall then the 12"/24" rule would apply but then that wouldn't really be an island. Now if someone wants to call a backsplash a wall then we'll have a different argument. :)

Even if there was a sink, is there a rule that says if an island has a sink it needs 2 plugs? I couldn't find anything either that would call a backsplash a wall (minimum height on it to be considered a wall)

480sparky

210.52(B)(2) Island Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle shall be installed at each island countertop space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

crtemp

210.52(B)(2) Island Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle shall be installed at each island countertop space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater.

(4) Separate Spaces. Countertop spaces separated by rangetops, refrigerators, or sinks shall be considered as separate countertop spaces in applying the requirements of 210.52(C)(1). If a range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is installed in an island or peninsular countertop and the depth of the countertop behind the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink is less than 300 mm (12 in.), the range, counter-mounted cooking unit, or sink shall be considered to divide the countertop space into two separate countertop spaces. Each separate countertop space shall comply with the applicable requirements in 210.52(C).

does that just mean only 1 outlet is required within 2' of the sink or cooking unit no matter how long the island is?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
does that just mean only 1 outlet is required within 2' of the sink or cooking unit no matter how long the island is?

It's not the length of the peninsula/island (other than if it meets the requirements to start with) that requires 2 outlets. It's the fact that the sink divides it into (2) separate counter spaces. If the area behind the sink is grater than 12" then you only need one.

Not sure where you're getting the "within 24" of the sink" as I don't see that anywhere.
The rule just says if the space is 24" or greater it needs a receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let's complicate this situation. Say we have a peninsula that is 6' long. There is a wall receptacle where the peninsula begins that covers the wall spacing for the cabinets along the wall. I think we all feel that another receptacle is needed on the peninsula itself.

Now put a sink in the peninsula breaking the peninsula into 2 pieces. Now we need one on the far end somewhere to cover that space. Do I need one on the opposite end near the base cabinets or are most of us going to use the wall outlet as the one to cover the peninsula at that point. I know I have never added one on the peninsula itself for the end closest to the base cabinet but I have installed them at the end on the far side of the sink or whatever else breaks up the cabinet

mwm1752

Nice complication topic -- the dimensions for this in extremes could be (all in where the sink is placed)

1- from wall to end of peninsula 6' - base cabinet from perpendicular wall 24" which has a recept covering that counter space, the 30" w x 20" d sink basin is in a 24" penisula countertop counter , far sink edge is located 12 1/4" from the end of penisula, this would leave a separate countertop between base counter & sink edge at 72" - (24"+30"+12 1/4") = 5 3/4" wide which would not require an extra receptacle per code

2- from edge of wall counter to end of peninsula 6' - base cabinet from perpendicular wall 24" which has a recept covering that counter space, the 30" w x 20" d sink basin is in a 24" penisula countertop counter , far sink edge is located 12 1/4" from the end of penisula, this would leave a separate countertop space between base counter & sink edge at 72" - (30"+12 1/4") = 29 3/4" wide which would require an extra receptacle per code

3- from edge of wall counter to end of peninsula 6' - base cabinet from perpendicular wall 24" which has a recept covering that counter space, the 30" w x 20" d sink basin is in a 24" penisula countertop counter , far sink edge is located 30 1/4"" from the end of penisula, this would leave a separate space between base counter & sink edge at 72" - (30 1/4"+30") = 11 3/4" wide which would not require an extra receptacle per code

templdl

If it is writing a minimum NEC spec, needing to comply with a minimum NEC and submitting a compentive bid and the winning a contract that is one thing. But I know how short some of those darned countertop alliance cords are and would include an extra outlet(s) to assure the safe use of those appliances on a countertop that makes sense not to meet the minimum code requirements if price is not an issue.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here are the scenarios I was thinking about. Remember by code the peninsula is measured from the connecting edge- not the wall, IMO... I now that is a gray area but I believe that is the intent

ry%3D400

As opposed to this

ry%3D400

mwm1752

Dennis, Technically I would say the penisula between wall counter & sink is greater than 24" x 12" & would require another receptacle( pop up) - In a situation like this a sensible call may be "as drawn" & move on as it does no pose life safety hazard & difficult to comply with. Its not a perfect world out there

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, Technically I would say the penisula between wall counter & sink is greater than 24" x 12" & would require another receptacle( pop up) - In a situation like this a sensible call may be "as drawn" & move on as it does no pose life safety hazard & difficult to comply with. Its not a perfect world out there

As the code is written I would tend to agree with you but I have never done it or have been called on it. What about this third scenario. Where is the connecting edge. I believe we have discussed this before

ry%3D400

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis - I would interprete your drawing as a 2' deep wall countertop with a 4' pennisula .

That is the kicker--m Many members here say the peninsula's connecting edge is the wall. I see it as you do. 2' bhase cabinet and the rest is the peninsula so receptacles are needed in both areas shown

Status
Not open for further replies.